Swag... because it pays.

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Swag... because it pays.

Postby LaserGnomes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:00 am

So... got an event coming up.
Need to make 70-100 pieces at this size and one full scale.

By Sept 4th.

No pressure.

Really hoping I can nail the full sized bottle with this negative depression. Would love to pour a glass out of it for the guy in charge.

I'd tell you the client name but I'm not allow to say it ; )
Attachments
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_5509.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2519 times
IMG_5506.JPG
IMG_5506.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 2519 times

Charles Xavier

Re: Swag... because it pays.

Postby Charles Xavier » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 am

Will you be acetone vapor smoothing these, because it looks like they'd be good candidates for it!

Otherwise, congrats on the gig! That part (the lettering, specifically) looks well-designed for the FDM process.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:43 am

NO WAY!

That crap is so bad, dangerous, and doesn't work on PLA very well.

They are made to look printed. The event is really to showcase "3d printing" as a technology. So to showcase the workmanship of the printer was almost expected. We'll be bringing "hero" pieces to show people what is possible when given time. We were shooting for 30m or less print time and less than 5m of assembly post handling time per piece to get the price somewhere that wasn't on the level of NASA funding.

That logo is actually their real logo! They gave us some artwork and said "make it happen" and we decided on this wine bottle charm (the event is at a winery) and then a FULL SIZED wine bottle (same model). Really hoping to get the full sized bottle done, add wine, and cork it! Would love to serve the CEO of intuit the first glass of wine from a 3d printed wine bottle.

Of course ... the bottle costs more than most wines but who's counting!

Charles Xavier

Postby Charles Xavier » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 am

LaserGnomes wrote:NO WAY!

That crap is so bad, dangerous, and doesn't work on PLA very well.

Oh right, I missed in your original post where you said these were PLA.

LaserGnomes wrote:Really hoping to get the full sized bottle done, add wine, and cork it! Would love to serve the CEO of intuit the first glass of wine from a 3d printed wine bottle.

Hope no one asks you about the food safety/FDA approval of serving wine from a 3D printed part. There was just a VERY involved conversation about such over in the Makerbot Operators Google Group. (I think it would be absolutely fine, I just hope you don't have anyone asking questions at the event.

Are you planning on printing the fullsize bottle in a translucent filament? The logo wouldn't show up quite as well, I suppose but maybe you could do a filament switch to an opaque color during the logo portion and then back to translucent afterward and get a nice effect (from a distance, it would look like a label on a real bottle).

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:55 am

"Food Safe"... ahahahah yeah.

Interesting read. I look at life like this
Are you over 30? You've drank more lead thanks to public schools and crappy plumbing than would matter already.
Do you live near/in a city? You've inhaled more carcinogens than a pack a day smoker.
Are you a maker? How are those iron fillings in your lungs working out?
Soot from laser smoke? ABS gas...acetone.. McRib farts.

I've worked in several "hazardous" fields where you get to wear little badges to tell you when you are going to die. I'm not scured of some cornstarch or cadmium #5.

Things that scare me in order.
Radiation
Halon
Fire
Note I would rather burn than have Halon "protect" me.

Client is going for their color... opaque blue. We'll be painting the lettering white for that "pop".
Had wanted trans purple.. as did the event people but bosses being bauce and all.

Has anyone considered a wax treatment for food safe? I see shitty paper cups with wax in them. Some kind of sealant must exist to lock the surface structure from degrading.

PS I typed it.. and deleted it.. and then continued reading the forum post... so I'm back here to retype it

3d printing brings out the OCD in people. Like.. BAD.
They are seriously getting into the lead content of the fucking nozzle? Wow. Just straight up and down wow.

It's like.. they are smart people.. that are not thinking. They know math and chemicals and percentages.. but live under powerlines. Can untie quantum string theory but can't make toast without debating how much cancer is coming from the crust*.

*Which is actually a figure that can be determined unlike the probability of lead content in my print outs**.

**Which as all OCD nerds know is 42.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:3d printing brings out the OCD in people. Like.. BAD.
They are seriously getting into the lead content of the fucking nozzle? Wow. Just straight up and down wow.

I agree 100% and this is exactly how i feel when i see people freak out about acetone. come on were grown ups, put it under your sink next to the bleach,drain-o and oven cleaner and don't drink it. Females all over the world take their nail polish off with it regularly and still out live men.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TB14xk9SPM

Less than a day into it.. half done!

Return to “Projects”