DC Adapter Plug

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

geartechbrandon

DC Adapter Plug

Postby geartechbrandon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:37 am

After being continuously frustrated with attempts to find a polarized DC connector that would fit a circuit board I've been wanting to repair I had this crazy idea to print one. I just finished the design and fitted the parts together and have begun printing the post. My idea is that the channels will hold the wires and solder onto small strips of thin metal (I might have to shave down the prototype to get a good fit). It was an odd size with a 2mm diameter center pin that nothing would fit.

3d_Print_DC_Adapter.jpg
Solidworks assembly of the core and sleeve.
3d_Print_DC_Adapter.jpg (125.89 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

The center part that spaces the power lines came out a bit warped as I expected but was more so due to the hot end being a bit to hot. For small pieces I should have turned the temperature down to 185-190. For larger pieces which would cool 195 was working very nicely but this is so small that it stayed hot for several seconds. I ended up drilling out the center pin hole with a pin vice and carved out the external wire channel with a hobby knife.

3d_Print_DC_Adapter_core_001.jpg
Printed, drilled and sanded core next to dc plug.
3d_Print_DC_Adapter_core_001.jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

3d_Print_DC_Adapter_core_002.jpg
Core fitted onto dc plug.
3d_Print_DC_Adapter_core_002.jpg (91.02 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

geartechbrandon

Re: DC Adapter Plug

Postby geartechbrandon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:34 am

Finished the quick prototype. I think for the future the best method is to print the center pin to the desired size but solid and drill out the center pin hole. I like to design in indentations for areas that are to be drilled to improve alignment of the hole. Since this was just a quick mock-up I simply carved out a groove for wires to sit in the future I would use thin strips of metal (salvaged from old heat syncs and other parts) and thin wires soldered to the.

None the less this worked well for powering up the circuit board and LCD screen for testing.
Attachments
IMAG0131.jpg
Close up of DC adapter.
IMAG0131.jpg (955.43 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
IMAG0129.jpg
Fully constructed DC adapter.
IMAG0129.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1404 times

Return to “Projects”