TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

AndrewRutter

Re: TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

Postby AndrewRutter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 am

We did a little bit of testing of ceramic mount. Had issues with a porous finish on the inner bore. But we were using a machined and then fired alumina sillica ceramic.

The bigger issue was that the ceramic had way too high a thermal conductivity.

PEEK is ~0.25 W/m-K
Mycalex is ~1.14 W/m-K

The Mcmaster info on Alumina silica is blatantly a typo. Its certainly a worse insulator that PEEK.

We abandoned the testing eventually. Not enough hours in the day.

I'd be interested to see results from some more tests though.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Im still gearing up for this right now, finishing up research on most of the materials on my list.

Ive been talking with a company that will just provide what I need in finished dimension, cheaper than buying raw material and machining it. The start up cost is a little more because of any molds that need to be made, but if it produces a working part it comes out cheaper in the long run.

If anyone has seen the print heads for the mojo, there isnt very much to the actual hot end. It would be interesting to see complete breakdown of one of those heads. They are pretty much throwaways.

Im mentally working on an air washer "slash" vacuum tube right now to possibly fit between the barrel and heater block. It wouldnt have to be very large at all, just something to retard a tad bit of heat.

The idea is that it will act as an air insulator, so that minimal heat is transferred to the barrel to begin with. One concern is that it will cause the inside of the barrel to heat up, creating a larger transition zone than I want.

Its slow moving right now, as Im doing as much research as I can, while juggling a household thats a few weeks from having a baby. I have most of what I need already, so as soon as Im ready to make a move, it should be a fairly fast process.

pablomck

Postby pablomck » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Elijah wrote:HDPE and ABS shrink hella. Nylon 618 doesn't terribly from what little I see though Andrew thinks there is need for a chamber. RichRap would disagree: http://richrap.blogspot.com/2013/04/3d- ... nt-in.html

So can HDPE be used with the existing Series 1 Hot end, if so how much shrinkage are we talking about. does HDPE require a hot bed?

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:33 pm

pablomck wrote:
Elijah wrote:HDPE and ABS shrink hella. Nylon 618 doesn't terribly from what little I see though Andrew thinks there is need for a chamber. RichRap would disagree: http://richrap.blogspot.com/2013/04/3d- ... nt-in.html

So can HDPE be used with the existing Series 1 Hot end, if so how much shrinkage are we talking about. does HDPE require a hot bed?

Well, we don't support it, but I suppose you could extrude it is you could find any in filament form. Last time I saw HDPE filament was a Noisebridge on a spool that must be 4 years old by now. It was 3mm (bc everybody was using 3mm at the time).

More than twice the shrinkage of ABS (if memory serves). A heated bed may not even be enough.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

isaac_alaska

Postby isaac_alaska » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:09 pm

How is this project coming? seems a lot of threads on here just dead-end :(

Return to “Projects”