TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 pm

Back Story

So, where do I start... Before I received my degree, I was a foreman in the Iron Workers Union. The only position of "power" you could hold in my union and still maintain membership. I never really thought of it as "power" because I worked with a great group of guys that were just like me. They loved to build things, they loved to learn new ways to build things, and they loved to be precise.

Work was more like a recreational thing, that I would get up and do every day. Looking back on it, it was waay more awesome than I realized at the time. Being 22 yrs old and handing out tasks to guys twice my age was def a learning experience, but I overcame it. Like I said, awesome experience.

Fast forward a few years, all of which I have been sitting being a computer. Either writing, creating, monitoring etc. I love it... but... I would like to get back to working with my hands and actually building something.

Im not trying to give my life story, just some background on WHY I am pursuing new projects, that involve more than sitting at a desk.

Whats Coming

So.. yeah. I have a lathe coming tomorrow. In my spare time I have been mentally working out an all metal hotend, specifically for the Series 1, with a possible bonus of having the ability to work for other printer types.

Im pretty set on what I will first start building and testing, however after Jonathan from kisslicer emailed me giving the okay to select 5 people for a PRO key giveaway, in exchange for some community feedback, It occurred to me, "What a great way to get out of ones own head".

So if you would like to participate in helping me design an all metal hot end, I would love to hear what you have in mind.

Here is What I Need:

I have a few design ideas already. Id like more from others perspectives.

I need a name for it. I thought about calling it the GURU Hot End. But Im open on both the design and name.

What You Get

Well you may get to see something you designed, or helped design... created!

You may get something tailored to all of our needs for higher temp printing.

Your name or username/link connected in some way to the hot end (To be worked out at a later date). Whether it be credit on the website (If a site is ever created for it) or in any articles I write about it etc etc.

Lastly, I will give each of those who participates in an above average way, 2 of the very first hot ends for using and testing.

I think I have pretty good judgement, so do others. So "Above Average " will be pretty apparent.

Obviously those who help name it, Those who offer design elements that I decide to incorporate, Those who offer ideas that I incorporate. The potential to get one of the first hot ends is rather large.

In fact I am going to set aside 8-10 hot ends just for this Call for Help, alone.

If you are interested, you can post here, you can pm me here. If you would rather speak through email, I will pm you my email address.

All ideas, thoughts, and theories are welcome. I would absolutely love to hear from you. (Pics help for any design elements)

CurtM

Re: TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Personally, my Name vote is for:

Liquid

Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 pm

lol. Okay WHARRGARBL has been added to my list.

My post was a bit incoherent lol

CurtM

Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 am

TheTechGuru wrote:lol. Okay WHARRGARBL has been added to my list.

My post was a bit incoherent lol

Seemed completely coherent to me, I just like a name that is Universal, everyone knows what WHARRGARBL is, it's a brand name that's already established via dog sprinkler!

Liquid

Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 am

It was the first I'd heard of it, had to look it up lol :?

jbrisbin

Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 am

TG, technically the extruder has a hot end and a cold end separated by the thermal insulator provided by the PEEK section.

Are you really talking about changing something in the hot end (which is already metal except for the teflon tape used to prevent leakage and binding of the nozzle to brass tube ... well and the ceramic around the heater resistor)?

Or are you trying to eliminate the PEEK component which is either in the cold end or between the two?

It took me a while to find an explanation for why it is there, but I quickly learned that it was important to keep the cool end cool for proper function because I inadvertently managed to mess it up.

Liquid

Fri May 17, 2013 4:46 am

Or are you trying to eliminate the PEEK component which is either in the cold end or between the two?

Bingo. Completely Metal. No PEEK. Same basic shape and size as the one that come with the machine, except with all metal housing where the peek would be.

No brass, unless I find out its absolutely needed. Might go with all aluminum, with stainless steel core.

Probably an aluminum heating block that the heat source will rest in.

For simplicity lets just call the entire assembly the hot end. Less confusion.

Im going to test all of the most popular metals I can get my hands on.

Liquid

Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 am

Just to clarify..

Im thinking the actual barrel will be all stainless steel. One piece, including the nozzle. Inside polished to a shine that would burn your eyes if you looked at it. To act as a heat barrier.

An aluminum heater block so close to the tip, you would swear it was going to touch the part (but it wont :)). To Account for stainless steels insulating (compared to aluminum and brass) properties.

An aluminum finned radiator for air cooling.

So you take the barrel, which will probably be turned stainless hex, thread on the aluminum heating block until it hits its stop at the tip, tighten. You then take the radiator, and thread it on (smaller diameter and threads on that portion of the stainless steel barrel) until it hits its stop, tighten.

Insert the heating element (Enamel power resistor, because ceramic cartridges are 100 times more expensive for the end user and are more prone to break). Insert the thermistor, lock it down. Good to go.

The only thing I really have to work out is how to secure the enamel resistor. I dont really want to use ceramic paste. So its up in the air right now. Might have to go with a cartridge, or a clean install of an enamel power resistor with ceramic paste.

All leads have white glass insulation.

I also have to see if vibration has any affect long term with parts loosening. but I dont think that will be a problem.

Priced at a rate that allows you to buy 0.25 0.35 0.4 0.5, whatever you choose.

No mess no fuss.

Clean up will consist of letting the hot end cool like the prusa hot end, and simply pulling out the entire length of filament.

If it doesnt work the first time, simply re insert the filament, re heat the hot end, let it meld into one piece of filament, let it cool and pull it out.

Those variables can change though, I want to beat the crap out of it and find out what the worst case scenario really is. I dont want to leave some poor guy with no way to clean a clogged barrel, of course if the polish is good, I dont think anyone will EVER need to jam anything down inside the barrel anyways.

Liquid

Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 am

OOOOh, nice. Its one of the cheapest lathes on the market, but Ive heard from friends it has up to just .0002" runout :shock:

With a few mods, this thing will do anything within a certain size, just perfectly.

Im not going to be modding it though just yet. Only need it to proof a working hot end. After that someone else will be making it. Why spend $4000 paying for a shop to proof a few parts, when I can spend $500 and proof out a bunch!... right? lol

dsp39

Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am

Good idea, and opening it up for collaboration is awesome.

I've been desiring a high-temp hotend for a while. That nylon I bought is just sitting around absorbing moisture. And, shoot, Stratasys machines are printing Ultem these days!!

Anyone have CAD files for the existing hotend? Last I checked those weren't with the source files, although those could have updated since.

I'm game. Starting by clicking through RepRap's database.

Return to “Projects”