TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

Charles Xavier

Re: TG All metal Hot End - Call for help

Postby Charles Xavier » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:10 am

This might be ignorance on my part, but I can't imagine using any other nylon than Taulman's. The sheer amount of research and work that has gone into creating a nylon for this very purpose does not seem to be rivaled by any other nylon filament, and possibly not any other material at all.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

Taulman and UltiMachine sell high temp Nylon and PC respectively.

Edit: At last check ProtoParadigm also sold PC...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:55 am

Yep , that is what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure. If anyone else has any input different than that Id be happy to check them out also if it looks tempting.

AndrewRutter

Postby AndrewRutter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 am

I'm interested to see more testing of Nylon. I've done a couple of test prints (it will work with the MG hotend, at 200-220 IIRC). But it shrinks like crazy. It might be workable with a heated bed, but it probably require enclosing the machine and certainly not the assisted cooling from a stock Series 1. I'll run some through one of the all metal extruders and see if it works...

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:37 am

Im wondering, based on real world experiences, which consumables shrink a lot(Im sure they all shrink at least a little) and how much they shrink. Is it something that can be accounted for when slicing the object?

Im going to grab some Taulman's and check it out.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:53 pm

HDPE and ABS shrink hella. Nylon 618 doesn't terribly from what little I see though Andrew thinks there is need for a chamber. RichRap would disagree: http://richrap.blogspot.com/2013/04/3d- ... nt-in.html
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 pm

http://richrap.blogspot.com wrote:And one final note, if you plan to use Nylon for printing, MakeAlot directed me that the best surface material to print on is Tufnol (Whale brand) this cotton weave, resin based laminate is often used for mechanical jigs in the electronics or test area. You need to get the Whale brand type and not other similar products based on fiberglass or composites.

Thats also interesting.

Gotta love tinkerers. :)

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Liquid wrote:Im wondering, based on real world experiences, which consumables shrink a lot(Im sure they all shrink at least a little) and how much they shrink. Is it something that can be accounted for when slicing the object?

Im going to grab some Taulman's and check it out.

PLA shrinks very little. If I want real world accuracy, I scale up to 1.01 or 101% in Kisslicer. This seems to be a very good shrinkage compensation.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:38 pm

The dimensions of this "table" are 150mm by 200mm. As far as my good eyesight and tape measure go, it's on the dot. Horizontal accuracy was fine for me. The pain is internal diameters. Those bolt holes will need reaming...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

DAPI

Postby DAPI » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:00 am

Here's my $0.01 (n00b discount ;) )

As exciting as an all metal hot ends sounds, it seems like your adding problems that you'll then have to fix or work around. I agree with the above-stated need for a cool end on top of the hot end. It seems to me that adding cooling, esp active cooling if you plan on printing Ultem, is only going to complicate the process of getting your new hot end to operate properly.

As an alternate starting point, what about replacing the PEEK cool end with a ceramic one? Same size and shape. I think you might get a plug-n-play (but still beta) hot end that you can experiment with high temps on. With longer print times, heat soak may come into play, but at least you could start with passive cooling on the cool end.

Side note: developed my first clog today, so much encouragement goes out to those looking into the taper/easier to clean aspects!

ceramic-rod.PNG
ceramic-rod.PNG (21.99 KiB) Viewed 2092 times

Return to “Projects”