Minigun project

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

rsilvers

Re: Minigun project

Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

If you want to show someone the capabilities, print something from GrabCad:

http://grabcad.com/library/9-cylinder-radial-engine--12

Liquid

Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

rsilvers wrote:If you want to show someone the capabilities, print something from GrabCad:

http://grabcad.com/library/9-cylinder-radial-engine--12

lol I think he showed the capabilities when he printed this...

Not sure it can really be topped.

I can almost guarantee this will eventually hit the rounds on all the sites that discuss 3d printing. Gonna scare the shit out of those who are scared of people owning guns too.

With all the firearm press 3D printers are getting, there are bound to be people that think they are owned solely to produce firearms. lol

Mentality of Sheeple...

Anyways, Im submitting this to dig right now. lol cause this is that awesome.
Last edited by Liquid on Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watsonstudios

Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Charles Xavier wrote:
watsonstudios wrote:What kind of advice do you have for a project like this?

My advice would be to have a passion for detail and the patience for it as well. Experience with a good solid modeler helps, I use Spaceclaim (much easier than Solidworks). I spent just as much if not more time modeling this on the computer. Just using electronic calipers to measure the physical parts. As you're modeling the parts, you start to assemble them in the software so you can see where you might be a little off with measurements then adjust from there. Everything has to fit together in the end and you always need to compensate for tight fits. If a hole is .25" then the pin that goes in it needs to be .245 etc. You always need to allow for fit. With PLA, there is about a 1% shrinkage so all the parts get printed at 101%. I just set the scale in Kisslicer for each part to 1.01. I think ABS is a little more but haven't printed with it yet. That's coming soon. I will also use the (soon to be made) heated bed for PLA too. PLA is not warp proof by any means.

Liquid

Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Just posted on defcads forum, hope its okay. They have to see this. :twisted:

If it gains any attention, maybe you can go over there and share the story Doc. Im sure it is an interesting one. Either way be prepared for some attention. This is pretty big on multiple levels, not just the firearm replica aspect but also the printing aspect.

Prints on this level arent printed every day on a $1400 machine....

http://defcad.org/forum/index.php?topic=822.0

watsonstudios

Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm

TheTechGuru wrote:Just posted on defcads forum, hope its okay. They have to see this. :twisted:

If it gains any attention, maybe you can go over there and share the story Doc. Im sure it is an interesting one. Either way be prepared for some attention. This is pretty big on multiple levels, not just the firearm replica aspect but also the printing aspect.

Well I'm not sure this fits in the same category as Defcad's stuff and I'm trying not to confuse what I did with what Defcad is doing. Mine is strictly for show, More of a prop for display. I dunno. I'd rather keep it in the non-functioning world of display props (like the RPF). I already have a feeling people will confuse mine with what Defcad is doing.

I'm all for showing off my work but I really didn't want it to cross over into the "functional" world. I have nothing against what they do, I think it's awesome but I just don't want my project getting mixed up in all that "3d printed guns" mess. I appreciate the good word for my work but I think that may not be the best forum to show it off.

Liquid

Wed May 08, 2013 4:50 pm

No problem, I will pull it right away. Sorry for taking that liberty.

We live in a world where the number of people who see the worst in things is far greater than the people who are able to distinguish that this is a work of art on a level that is 3D printing, not weapons manufacturing.

So I have to agree with you, and will pull it right now.

watsonstudios

Wed May 08, 2013 4:59 pm

No problem, I appreciate it. I also don't want to attract any bad press over to TAM. :)

Liquid

Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Only would have resulted in sales lol They havent banned 3D printing yet....

But they might if you ever make that functional. Just think you could be the guy who ends 3D printing for the masses! lol totally kidding.

I started to get a little scared when it was up for an hour and had 150 hits :shock:

rsilvers

Wed May 08, 2013 5:10 pm

I am almost as pro gun as possible. I certainly plan to print real guns, as well as models of guns. And I still am not interested in how public DefCad has made things. People in the industry have been printing gun parts for years. Like 20 years.

Return to “Projects”