Minigun project

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

watsonstudios

Minigun project

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Here are a few parts from my minigun project I've been working on for about 3 years now (on & off). I've been getting nice prints so far and still tweaking the settings but I'm really close. I use Kisslicer exclusively and love it! These are all printed at .1mm layers. 3 loops, .35 width, 185c, 20% infill, rough supports. I print fairly slow: 20 perimeter and 30 support & infill. It's slow but worth the quality. On the painted parts, it's easier to fill the ridge lines than to sand them off. I use a high fill primer, about 3 coats, and the parts sand great! Don't have to sand much of the PLA at all, just the primer. I have, on occasion, been getting a shift in my X axis. I think it is due to the pull of the filament because the shift is always towards where the reel is (on the right side, facing the machine) I think the motor torque needs to be increased on the X motor, it seems it may skip too easily. These parts really don't show it but it has been happening.

One tip I would like to share is to turn on Z-lift, makes WAY better prints. Mine is set to 1mm. This prevent the tip from dragging across smooth flat surfaces and makes for much cleaner prints.

I guess I can only upload 3 attachments, more to follow....
Attachments
painted3.jpg
painted3.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 23210 times
painted2.jpg
These undersides are not filled or sanded, just painted.
painted2.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 23210 times
painted1.jpg
painted1.jpg (93.85 KiB) Viewed 23210 times

watsonstudios

Re: Minigun project

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Here are some unpainted parts. I'm getting very nice surfaces at .1mm.
Attachments
mini06v.jpg
Here's part of the receiver as a test. Came out well I think.
mini06v.jpg (271.46 KiB) Viewed 23209 times
unpainted2.jpg
unpainted2.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 23209 times
unpainted1.jpg
unpainted1.jpg (107.54 KiB) Viewed 23209 times

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:24 pm

Sorry for all the replies. I guess I need to figure out how to post more than 3 attachments per post. :D
Attachments
mini_support02v.jpg
mini_support02v.jpg (422.49 KiB) Viewed 23209 times
mini_support01v.jpg
Here it is right off the printer. The new version of KS has better supports and they are a lot easier to remove than the previous version.
mini_support01v.jpg (443.72 KiB) Viewed 23209 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Wow... wow... and then a follow up holy $4!7

X-axis shifting - We had this issue as well in the Y-axis and adjusted the RAMPS up accordingly (in trouble shooting section)

Spool holder creating tension - We ultimately mounted our spools above the machine using simple and cheap clothes hanger rod and supports you would see in a closet.

Prime vs Sand - Pro TIP!!! Looks great : )

Print Settings - We have almost that exact setting, speed, z lift, etc.. same.

3 attachment limit - Yup that's a forum thing the only getting around it is to host the images elsewhere and then post a public link to it. This can also circumvent attachment size restrictions.

Great work though!

PS how are you liking the black? We've found it to be a bit brittle vs the white or Glow in the dark. Just collecting data for ourselves.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks. Attached is my spool solution. I still got a bit of a shift even after this fix. I'm just thinking my X is way too sensitive. The shift may have been caused by the nozzle striking a "booger" or PLA blob that sometimes gets deposited atop of supports. I can always here the tip smacking into these protrusions and it seems loud enough to possibly shift the X if it's lacking torque. I do need to "up" the torque because I'm only getting shifts in X.

Yes, get High fill primer - usually at automotive parts stores, you won't find it at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes.

I like the black a lot! Hate the glow in the dark, too globby. Guess I could tweak the setting to accomodate but I really don't need GITD for anything right now. Have only tried grey otherwise, seems just about the same as the black.
Attachments
spool.jpg
Here's my spool mounted directly over the print head. I should also lube the copper tube just a bit to lessen the friction. I made some spool adapters to better fit the copper's diameter.
spool.jpg (109.26 KiB) Viewed 23205 times
Last edited by watsonstudios on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Yeah we had our 2nd head tagging the "Z up" spikes. This actually unseated a few prints.
Really had to nail down the suck/wipe for each material to eliminate that issue but still agree Zup improves quality over all.

GITD too globby... we run ours at 155c and it works great! We noticed at 185c that when the heater would turn on.. moving the needle up into 187c range we'd start getting bubbles or steaming. So we did a vigorous temp test on all our materials and found 160c works for us (not recommended for all). We're actually looking into why that's so different from others but the PLA certainly bubbles out when just sitting idle at 185c preheat.

There's a few super stocked stores around here (mid town san fran) if not we can always web order!

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Excellent prints!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Your prints look great and Wow those primed and sanded parts look amazing, they dont even look printed! I thought i was looking at injection molded parts before i read it.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Amazing prints. I'd like to try this primer and sand technique on one of my models. Do you have a link to the brand or item # of high fill primer you used? Is this one any good?:

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-249279 ... ill+primer

The reviews seem a bit mixed (hard to sand and long dry time).

Thanks!

-Jonas

watsonstudios wrote:Yes, get High fill primer - usually at automotive parts stores, you won't find it at Walmart or Home Depot/Lowes.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks all. Noooo, not Rustoleum. This stuff works great! You can sand within an hour. Dries to the touch in just a few minutes. I get it at O'Reily's auto parts but I'm sure most auto parts stores would carry it. Works great. Spray on 3 or 4 coats and sand until you start hitting the plastic. This way your are sanding 95% filler and 5% plastic. Your part will stay dimensionally accurate because you are not removing much plastic, just filling the grooves.
Attachments
primer.jpg
Duplicolor high build primer
primer.jpg (75.83 KiB) Viewed 23186 times

Return to “Projects”