Minigun project

The place to show off your epic printing projects. (Pictures or it didn’t happen!)

Moderator: Elijah

watsonstudios

Re: Minigun project

Postby watsonstudios » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm

No problem. Yes, it is full scale. All printed parts can be swapped out for real parts. The feed chute end that attaches to the gun is the real deal along with some of the quick release pins and electric motor connector. It's about 32" long overall. Each barrel was printed in 3 pieces. A lot of the other large parts were also printed in sections then welded together. Haven't planned my next project but I still have some parts left to do for this so I'm thinking I'll be done in less than a month. My next project may actually be to build a bigger printer, we'll see.
Attachments
yardstick.jpg
yardstick.jpg (255.26 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

CurtM

Postby CurtM » Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 am

So, who do you intend on terrifying with that thing first?

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 am

It is but not everyone knows the size of a minigun. I fired a few thousand rounds on two of them.

Charles Xavier

Postby Charles Xavier » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 am

Where'd you get all of the files for these parts? Did you have to reverse engineer a minigun?

Without a doubt the most beautiful anything I have ever seen from any additive manufacturing process. This project should be the poster child for this technology.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am

Charles Xavier wrote:Where'd you get all of the files for these parts? Did you have to reverse engineer a minigun?

Thank you for the kind words. :) Yes, I reverse engineered all the parts except for the receiver. Since the receiver is the registered part and illegal to possess, I created it from the actual blueprints. All the parts exist as 3d solid models. Of course you can't just go printing all the parts as is. It took a lot of time figuring out the best way to print out each part, some in pieces, in order to keep support material reasonable and away from areas that need to be smooth. The parts that were printed in sections, I would cut the part, then create tabs (male&female) so that they assembled correctly and in registration. It's kinda cool when I rotate the barrels and the everything turns as it should. All the gears are there. Hopefully when the bolts are finished, they too will move properly. They are 2 part bolts and the head of the bolt twists as it hits the chamber. I will eventually make a video showing the motion and also the complete assembly/disassembly of all the parts.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am

Beautiful. I shot a few of these and other types at the Machine Gun Shootout in Knob Creek Kentucky. One of the best shows to go to.

Nice Job, superb in fact.

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

It would be cool to do a lost PLA casting of the receiver:

http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

At least for me since I have the manufacturing license.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Wed May 08, 2013 10:02 am

rsilvers wrote:It would be cool to do a lost PLA casting of the receiver:

Tell me about it! I'd love a pot metal or aluminum cast at least, probably still not legal though. I'm still worried that the receiver won't be strong enough to be mounted from the recoil compensators. That's a very thin area of the receiver, I may have to reinforce with fiberglass, we'll see.

rsilvers

Postby rsilvers » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

Maybe make a 1/3 scale metal receiver and then add plastic parts to it.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

watsonstudios wrote:Yes, I reverse engineered all the parts except for the receiver...the receiver is the registered part and illegal to possess, I created it from the actual blueprints.

So simple word math.

All parts except receiver are "reversed engineered"
Receiver was created from blueprints.

So all parts you did not have BP's for... so... you have the actual part?
aka...
You have a minigun (if only in pieces, less a receiver)?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Return to “Projects”