Just for Fun

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

sitts314

Just for Fun

Postby sitts314 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm

This is a mod I've been working on for a long time. I don't have much time to tinker, so it's taken a while to get here. First off, here's a picture of the system as it currently looks. I'll zoom-in on the details later.

The first mod I did was a custom spool holder because the back-mounted spool just wasn't working out. Plus I wanted to be able to store more than one spool. This was before TAM introduced the top hat spool holder for the original Series 1.

The next mod was simply to add a couple of clip-on reading lights aimed at the print bed. If your apartment has better lighting than mine, you probably don't need this.

Next up was a filament cleaning system. I can tell that it's working because every so often I'll take the clips off and the rags will be full of dust (dust that would have clogged up the extruder).

The next task was to add a side-mounted monitor and keyboard for an on-board Raspberry Pi which now controls the printer. I designed the yellow attachment hardware specifically for this application.

The Raspberry Pi itself is running OctoPi, and I can control it from any device, anywhere, anytime. Later on, I'd like to add a Raspberry Pi camera to monitor the prints while I'm away. ...The most interesting thing here is that the Raspberry Pi printed it's own case (seen in blue). It's kind of cool if you think about it. :D
I added the fan to the case because I might decide to overclock the Pi in the future.

After installing the official printbed upgrade, the weight of the new bed caused the platform to sag forward a bit. It didn't seem like much, but afterward I was not able to level the bed because of the height difference between the front and back of the platform. To solve this, I upgraded the upgraded leveling hardware by installing longer leveling screws. The available print height is now a few millimeters smaller, but at least the bed is level! I also had to upgrade the Z-stop because it could no longer compensate for the taller print bed.

Lastly, no printer should be considered complete without bling! The blue coin was my very first print. The model of Hawaii and the clingy tree frog were just cluttering up my desk so I stuck them on there too. :D

...Hope you've enjoyed the pictures! If you have any comments or suggestions please share.

Return to “Mods”