A list of my Series 1 Mods and Printing Environment

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

jd_3d

A list of my Series 1 Mods and Printing Environment

Postby jd_3d » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Here are is a list of my modifications and overall printing setup for my Series 1. The image at the bottom has numbers to correlate with the text.

Slicing Settings - KISSlicer 1.1.0.2 (Alpha)
I have attached my config files for anyone who is interested in trying them. Also in the .zip file is a sample GCode file along with a picture of my results. They are similar to the TAM official ones except for these changes:
First Layer Speed 45mm/sec
Print Speed - 60mm/sec Perimeter, 90mm/sec Infill
PLA Temp - 195C
Wipe - 0
Min Layer Time - 10s
Infill Extrusion Width - 0.4mm
Layer Height - 0.2mm

Printing Setup:
1) Core 2 Duo Laptop Running Windows 8 64-bit. Using KISSlicer 1.1.0.2 Alpha and Pronterface
2) Home made vent enclosure (not a heat chamber). Made from cardboard and acrylic.
2a) Vent cutout for TAM inlet fan for electronics
2b) Skylight to let light in
2c) Vent to window via flexible piping (not visible)
2d) Front acrylic window that hinges at the top
2e) Other end of vent tube along with 3d printed fan housing. Using Silver Stone variable-speed fan (100+ CFM on high).
3) Modified design 3d printed Spool holder (see my other post on this for STL file).
4) Old iPhone with Baby Monitor app. Connects to my other iPhone and allows remote viewing of my prints where ever I am in the house.
5) 3d printed iPhone tripod mount for SLIK tripod (I designed it but it needs some more work).
6) 3d printed waste bin
7) 3d printed tool holder
8) 1/8" glass panel taped on top of Acrylic bed. This provides superior flatness for printing. Highly recommended. Covered with 2093-EL tape (also highly recommended). I get 10-30 prints for each covering.

-Jonas
Attachments
KISSlicer_1102_inis_plus_extras.zip
(913.7 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Series 1 setup.jpg
Series 1 setup.jpg (253.68 KiB) Viewed 3518 times

LaserGnomes

Re: A list of my Series 1 Mods and Printing Environment

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 pm

We thought it was just files. Apparently it's your entire environment! Thanks for the share. We will... um... be upgraDDing our "environment" promptly.

dsp39

Postby dsp39 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Your environment is awesome! Good inspiration.

dsp39

Postby dsp39 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 pm

OK I cut an appropriately sized piece of 1/8" scanner glass to tape to the acrylic bed. I'm running my first print now!

I'm having some trouble with the z-offset, though. I set it to 3.17, sliced in KISSlicer, loaded gco in Repetier-Host, and dragged my hot end across the fresh tape after priming. I also bumped the glass with the hotend after homing all three axes...

My solution was to dial out the thumbscrew ~3.2mm to simply zero on top of the glass. Works well, but with such little spring force on the screw it's probably going to shift on me. I'll get a new spring shortly.

What do you do?

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah, I dialed out the thumbscrew as well (I don't mess with z-offset in software anymore, too troublesome). I've actually noticed small variations in z-homing but even before my glass plate mod. Like it seems to trigger maybe 0.05-0.1mm up or down. Not sure if that is due to the z-screw moving around or variation in when the electrical switch triggers. I suppose a stronger spring wouldn't hurt.

I think Andrew mentioned some improvements to the z-offset screw on later machines (I have an early one). Can't remember specifically what is was though. Andrew, if you are reading this can you refresh my memory?

-Jonas

dsp39 wrote:OK I cut an appropriately sized piece of 1/8" scanner glass to tape to the acrylic bed. I'm running my first print now!

I'm having some trouble with the z-offset, though. I set it to 3.17, sliced in KISSlicer, loaded gco in Repetier-Host, and dragged my hot end across the fresh tape after priming. I also bumped the glass with the hotend after homing all three axes...

My solution was to dial out the thumbscrew ~3.2mm to simply zero on top of the glass. Works well, but with such little spring force on the screw it's probably going to shift on me. I'll get a new spring shortly.

What do you do?

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

On that note we actually moved the Z stop switch down and completely compressed the screw on the Z-stop. We noticed as well ours was moving around and was causing varying z heights.

That said.. we screwed it completely down... moved the switch above it lower... raised the bed. Now to level/set z we just use the bed level thumbscrews until we hit the proper height.

All the problem areas are locked, the z-stop thumb screw & the z-stop switch (and its two bolts).

-2 cents
Attachments
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG (101.42 KiB) Viewed 3391 times

lashukla

Postby lashukla » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:50 am

Jonas,

Nice setup. I have tried your config and it works all right. From my limited I think 195 may be a bit better, but I need to do some more printing to be sure of that.

I can't reply to you message about mid prints as I am not allowed to send private messages yet. I thought it was due to the winding of the filament ( either twisted or tight ) that prevented the extruder from pulling it. The telltale signs were in the pincher grove/grip. It appeared as though the filament had stopped to move down its assigned path but the pincher had kept working and ended up with some left over filament.

Umesh

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Umesh for the follow-up.

dsp39

Postby dsp39 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

Re: Z-stop adjustment.

After adding a stiffer spring to the z-stop thumb screw I haven't had to adjust the screw at all. It's possible that the thumb screw was wobbling around a bit during prints which could have resulted in z-stop inconsistency.

I also haven't printed very heavily in a bit, so....more data is needed.

And having a layer of glass is really, really nice. Everything is just so dang flat.

Return to “Mods”