Stepper motor for spool feed

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

pablomck

Stepper motor for spool feed

Postby pablomck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:49 am

Perhaps this is out there and I just didn't find it. has anyone built a mod for a separate more powerful stepper to feed the spool to the head. I'm thinking I could mount a stepper on the back of the topper to feed the PLA through first, put slack between it and the feed on the head. Connect the control signal of the two steppers together. Any issues with provided the same step control signal from the head to the secondary motor? Should the current power supply be able to drive both? I'm trying to not add logic for a scenario where the reel drags and some of slack get's used between the two steppers. Also thinking just better bearings on the topper reels. Over goal is not to babysit the reel whilst i'm printing. I'm all for a simpler approach/suggestions?
-Paul

turnrock

Re: Stepper motor for spool feed

Postby turnrock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Stepper motor seems like overkill,I made a PVC spool holder and all the binding and skipping steps became a thing of the past.ugly but works like a charm.
Attachments
photo-9.jpg
photo-9.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 am

Yes it's been done.

"Liquid" was the user name. He's quite the prolific poster.. but it was one of his first mods to the printer.. so probably pretty old.

He claimed it worked.

We use an over head spool holder and make sure the end of the filament doesn't get mixed up with the loops thus tying itself. Without tangles... and gravity on your side... you shouldn't need to hit the grid for more juice.

-1 cent.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:10 am

I think the original idea was for filament tracking, so you'd know when you are running out...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:53 am

Since I don't DIRECTLY feed from the TAM nipple.. I can say I'm a fan of the Buccaneer and it's "weighing" filament tray.

It's just... clean. Andrew claims it suffers from it's own problems, which I don't doubt. But the idea of just weight raw material is so simple it has to be investigated.

At the end of the day.. I want a hopper with pellets. So.. what's up on that. All this other crap is a gap fix for not having a hopper with pellets.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm

The issue with the buccaneer is that when the filament entangles, it will create a knot that will press down on the scale. Now there's lots of extra weight brought on by the pressure on the knot, and all of a sudden your printer thinks it's got lots of filament.

So, lets say you have a failure detection for it: A sudden increase in weight sets off a red flag. You still have the original issue.

$0.02
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:42 am

I've found that tangles come from poor spool management. Unless the loops are somehow able to traverse through one another while sitting idle... I don't really see tangles being an issue. But agree any tension = weight. Ideally this could be a good thing.. if weight is decreasing.. decreasing and suddenly it jumps 3ks... JAM ALERT JAM ALERT!

On that point... I've gone back and hand rolled every "suspect" PLA I mismanaged (didn't put the lead line back into retainer clip). I've had 0 failures since this. I HIGHLY recommend a OCD approach to Filament management to avoid the tangles (which sometimes get powered through and aren't an issue).

Yes that means unrolling your existing PLA and hand rolling it. Yes that means unrolling your new PLA you think is crap because it comes from countries that hate us and what to give us problems.
TAM's rolls.. out of the box have not needed to be rerolled. The paper spools that should not be named notoriously come pre-jacked up.

-1 cent.

Return to “Mods”