Auto Bed Leveler

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

ccrome

Re: Auto Bed Leveler

Postby ccrome » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I kinda think the easiest way to do it is to use a sensor on the hot end and probe 3 or 4 locations to get exact offsets. Then in principle, you could simply turn the screws a calculated fraction of a turn.

But, I wonder how flat the acrylic bed is in the first place. That would be worth testing :-)

-C

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:01 pm

I think you would just need to be able to retract the probe after making the measurements. The algorithm should be dirt simple to determine the amount of rotation for the screws if you automate that function.

A smart idea on your part.

Joseph

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 am

Acrylic warps over time. Especially under the tempatures we are dealing with.

We moved to tempered glass... guess what... Glass is actually a liquid moving really really slowly.
So guess what happens?... that's right it warps!

If you are considering a self leveling anything you might want to make sure the surface you are trying to level is.

1. level to itself
2. will remain level under duress
3. will remain level after you pry and pull pieces from it repeatedly.

When getting into the 0.05mm prints.. we can notice the bowing in the tempered glass.
Eye leveling (eying the laid material not the gap which is indiscernible) works for us but typically the first attempt is a complete failure as we find where the bed has lost level over night.
The 2nd attempt is normally closer... but by then we need to replace the tape. So after tape replacement it's questionably out of level again just due to removing/replacing the bed itself.

But that 4th time... man.. that's the money right there!

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:57 pm

I watched a curious video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB-uVxuDQXY

I do not believe the current TAM hot end could be placed on a hinge but it is still interesting. I have some extra 80/20 aluminum that we are going to use for building a Kossel 3D printer. I might try and see if we can build the same type of sensor as used at the Youtube site.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:57 pm

ahhhhh he used YouTube shaking compression and everything looks like it's on LSD.

So it's a conductive contact sensor?
Wonder if it would be possible to use that to make a detailed map of the bed and have the printer compensate for that.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Return to “Mods”