Jam detection mechnaims

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

ccrome

Jam detection mechnaims

Postby ccrome » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 am

Hi there,
I just had to disassemble my work's Cube extrude to clear a jam, so I took a photo. They have an optical jam detector on the pinch-wheel.

Just posting because somebody might find it useful/interesting.

As an aside, I'm having a hell of a time printing with PLA with this extruder: I think the problem is that the PLA is hard and there is no spring on the pinch wheel, so it just skips and jams. ABS works fine.
Attachments
photo.JPG
Cube printer jam detector
photo.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 4261 times

jd_3d

Re: Jam detection mechnaims

Postby jd_3d » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm

This would really be an awesome feature on a Series 1. I've found often you may get a small clog that could easily be cleared if you catch it. However, if you don't catch it and come back 2 hours later, you are instead faced with a nozzle full of burnt PLA that's been cooking in there for hours. That takes a full disassemble to get working properly again.

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:47 pm

BTW, looks very much like this one, or similar: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/1881236

-C

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

thats on a cube? id be super surprised if that wasn't patented.

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm

turnrock wrote:thats on a cube? id be super surprised if that wasn't patented.

Really? I'd be surprised if it is patentable. Rotary encoders have been used on wheels to sense motion for decades, and this looks like a totally standard one. Inkjet printers, along with many things with motion involved use rotary sensors like this.

Of course, I don't know a thing about patent law, so it wouldn't surprise me if I get surprised ;-)

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 pm

It probably is protected in some way given that it's 3DS.

We could try it, and be able to back it up in court, but still they remain the ones with the army of lawyers and the money. :P

Fantastic idea though. Better would be a machine that doesn't jam - not saying that ours doesn't but theirs is notorious for doing so. Might be worth adding on in the future.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:12 pm

historically speaking the only time that would matter is when a wire failed and the motor started rocking.
Otherwise that gear just chews the filament and spins without problem... the optical system wouldn't detect anything in that scenario unless it was watching the filament...

What is NEEDED is a pulley that is registered that is ahead of the extruder. As the filament is drawn down it registers that movement on the pully. If the filament starts getting chewed.. it stops moving downward and thus be detectable by the pulley.

*I see there's kind of does that actually. Well in any case... it's a different version ; )

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:01 am

Or just watch the pinch wheel. If its not turning, the filament is not feeding.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:11 pm

yeah... just thinking aloud honestly in regard to the Series 1 design.
Could in theory just add this capability on top of the extruder assembly that exists already tracking the filament as mentioned.

Would be nice to see a wipe/clog detection module that sits on top there.

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Cohbra11 wrote:Or just watch the pinch wheel. If its not turning, the filament is not feeding.

Right,that is the pinch wheel that the detector works on.

-Caleb

Return to “Mods”