Yup! Another fan upgrade...

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Cohbra11

Re: Yup! Another fan upgrade...

Postby Cohbra11 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 am

Yeah, I'll try to get you one tomorrow. Or, I guess today now...

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:15 am

Here's the quick and dirty version for a stock 40mm fan. I also made the cylinder in the middle around the hot end 2mm larger in diameter to give you a little more room.
Attachments
40mm Fan Duct - Oriented.zip
(231.43 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 am

Sweet, Im going to print this later tonight. Thanks or the modification. :D

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 am

Liquid wrote:Sweet, Im going to print this later tonight. Thanks or the modification. :D

Did you print this yet? I'm curious to know how it works with the stock fan.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:46 pm

I tried printing it twice but ended up with some bad prints. It would print better for me if the front angles were 45's. They printed fine, until the top of the duct, because of a clogged hot end. I wasnt too fond of the way the outer portion of the front bottom angle came out though.

Also, it might be better to raise the tube a bit to cover the peek a little more, so that air doesnt get trapped in that cylinder surrounding the hot end. The only other thing I noticed is that the cylinder could be moved to the right a tad to center up with the hotend.

Im anxious to give it a good go and make it part of the machine, but I dont want to go through any more material at the moment.

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:53 am

I had a bit of a hard time with the angle on the front bottom angle too, but I was watching pretty much every layer and decided to use a piece of tape up against it to help give it some support. In retrospect, I was thinking it might have been better to use the option in Kisslicer to make the loops go from the inside to out. I didn't make the tube go any higher to cover the peek because I wanted to keep the peek as cool as possible. I don't notice any issues with the hot end being cooled too much with mine. Also, my temperatures are rock solid once I've started printing, I barely see a fraction of a degree variance in the graph in Pronterface and I haven't even tried to autotune the PID yet because I don't see any need. I have been printing at 205*C for two straight days and the prints are looking absolutely great. I can move the cylinder over for you if you'd like, just let me know how much you want me to move it. The reason it is where it is now is because on my printer it is centered around the bulk of the hot end, not just the tip of the nozzle. If it were centered on the nozzle, then it wouldn't fit without touching because of the aluminum block that the resistor is in hanging off to the side with the leads that come out of it.

Just let me know, I'd be glad to make some changes to it for you.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Would you be willing to post your CAD file? I had a few ideas for it and it's a pain to edit an STL file. If so, that would be great. I can take step, iges, parasolid, solidworks, etc.

Thanks.

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Here ya go.
Attachments
40mm Fan Duct.zip
(247.36 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Awesome, thanks!

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Here's my version. I just wanted to direct the air more deliberately, not waste any hitting the side of the cylinder. Don't know if it will fit, haven't printed it yet. I kept all the dimensions that were there so it should fit fine. :)
Attachments
fan duct v2.zip
(218 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Return to “Mods”