Spool Mount on my office desk

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Cohbra11

Spool Mount on my office desk

Postby Cohbra11 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Because of where I decided to put my printer, which was on my desk, I needed a way to mount my spools above the printer that didn't involve using PVC. This is what I came up with...
Spool Mount.PNG
Spool Mount.PNG (17.13 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

Because of the height, I had to create a separate support structure & mount.
Spool Mount Support.PNG
Spool Mount Support.PNG (20.69 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

I printed the knob without support even though it had an internal cavity for a 1/4-20 nut. Then, as the print was at just the right height, I snuck the nut inside and it continued to print right over it sealing the nut inside.
Knob.PNG
Knob.PNG (142.54 KiB) Viewed 4073 times

Cohbra11

Re: Spool Mount on my office desk

Postby Cohbra11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 am

I printed the parts at 0.35mm layer height & 120mm/sec just to get them done, so they're not too pretty. I also installed a fiber washer that I had between the knob and the spool so that I can adjust the tension on the spool. It's been printing for about 10 hours now without any problems. The filament spools off easily without it being too easy.
This is just one of the hubs I made for the spool itself with some ball bearings I already had laying around.
I can remove the entire thing in a matter of seconds which is nice, and there is no hardware attaching it to the desk. It is very sturdy as well.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 am

Genuis :D

Jaguar_5

Postby Jaguar_5 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 am

Wow, very nice design!

I have been looking for ways to make the ability to pause a print and capture an object inside an object then resume printing, this is clearly the most useful application of the ability to do that! Love the captured nut!

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 am

Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I was pleased that I got it to work on the first shot, although I almost missed it. I had tried to pause and resume a few times already but it is not working as I would expect it to. I started a thread on it, and another x axis homing issue here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=453

Since the resume after pausing is not working for me I had to play a little chicken with the extruder and squeeze it in while it was printing on the back side of the part. It's a good thing I left an extra 1mm height in the cavity for it though, because I realized that I hadn't left quite enough clearance to get the nut to drop in and I had to run out to the garage and take a file to all six sides of the nut to make it a hair smaller right at the last minute.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:59 am

Cohbra11 wrote: I had to run out to the garage and take a file to all six sides of the nut to make it a hair smaller right at the last minute.

Owns 3d printer.
Takes file to harden steel nut to fix the problem.

HAHAHA Love it! Whatever works right?!

dsp39

Postby dsp39 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:32 pm

That's gorgeous!

In Repetier-Host, at least, you can insert a pause command in the gcode itself. Saves you from having to pause manually. Granted, I still pause manually...

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks dsp39. I've spent the last two days uninstalling XP, and reinstalling Windows 7 (mainly so I can run MS Office 2013) hoping that it will also fix my pause/X-Axis homing issues, but it didn't do me any good. Looks like I may have to re-flash my firmware if I'm going to get the button to work for the pause feature, or more specifically, resuming after a pause.

Return to “Mods”