Yet Another New Bed Leveling System - Tooless

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

watsonstudios

Yet Another New Bed Leveling System - Tooless

Postby watsonstudios » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Well since my heated bed venture was a bit disappointing, I still wanted to improve the bed mounting and leveling system. Here's what I have so far. I made some thumb screws using 8/32 hex bolts. They sit on top of the aluminum, attached to the wood frame, using 8/32 threaded inserts with spring in the middle to keep upward tension on the aluminum. All you have to do is turn the knurled knobs to raise or lower that corner. Completely tool-less and only a single moving part.

The glass sits on top of the plate, held down with rare earth magnets. The magnets fit perfectly inside some black nylon spacers that have a hex bolt threaded up through the plate, sitting just below the depth of the magnet. So, when your print is finished, you just lift off the glass. when in place, the glass stays in place, there is no lateral movement at all. A very stable, easy to use bed.
Attachments
diagram.jpg
diagram.jpg (81.05 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
mount2.jpg
mount2.jpg (332.3 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
mount1.jpg
mount1.jpg (173.58 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

watsonstudios

Re: Yet Another New Bed Leveling System - Tooless

Postby watsonstudios » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Eventually, the mounting points will be moved inward to allow the nozzle to center above them when leveling.

The thumb screws extend outside the edges to allow adjustment once the glass & plate are the same width.

More images.....
Attachments
thumb screws.jpg
thumb screws.jpg (240.26 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
bed2.jpg
bed2.jpg (375.01 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
bed1.jpg
bed1.jpg (296.08 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

jbrisbin

Postby jbrisbin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:25 pm

That looks really promising.

Have you measured how reproducible the positioning is between installing the bed, removing it and putting it back on? Is the lack of lateral movement you mention due to tight tolerances between the hex screw from the bottom and the black nylon spacers or the friction induced by the pull of the magnets?

BTW, it sounds like the nylon spacers stay with the aluminum not the glass, correct? Edit: Well, duh! The picture shows that.

How hard is it to remove the bed against the force of the magnets? Will we need magna-popper levers to separate them without torquing the bed frame?

I feel like I have to relevel the bed each time I remove it or detach a large part. Does the magnet attachment reduce the need to do that?

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes, the nylon spacers are epoxied to the aluminum. Just dipped the edge of the spacer in epoxy and placed on the bed with the screws in place, the placed the glass on top as to align the spacers to the magnets (the magnets were epoxied to the glass first)

The glass pulls off without worry or torquing the frame. You lift one side at a time, either front then back or side then side.

The lack of lateral movement is the tight tolerance of the magnet's fit in the spacers, if there is any movement at all, the pull of the magnets keeps it in place. but we're talking only a few thous at most.

Return to “Mods”