Aluminum Platform For Heated Bed

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Cohbra11

Re: Aluminum Platform For Heated Bed

Postby Cohbra11 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:46 am

I agree with the controlled environment being the best solution. I was just suggesting that I think the print quality could be improved by applying some general rules to the printing process in respect to print height, bed temp, and fan speed. I also agree that it will be different for every part which is why I mentioned that the cross sectional surface area for the current layer may need to be taken into account.

I look forward to seeing how you approach the controlled environment side of things. Good luck with it, I'll be on the lookout for that thread. Are you planning to tackle that one soon?

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 am

We thoroughly appreciate you actually doing this.

Controlling the environment is really the only way you can handle this. Even then the part is going to play a role as denser areas cure at different rates.

We basically gave up this pursuit a while back opting to wait the time for higher resolutions which seemed to be better at adhering to model designs. That said we aren't making machine quality parts either.

Good luck! But seriously thanks for the effort. We had mentioned this would most likely happen in other posts etc but to see it actually happening is good info but bad outcome. Thanks again.

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 am

No problem, it was a learning experience. From this I think I'm going to make a custom glass bed to match the size of the aluminum platform while retaining the magnet attach feature which works great, by the way.
My plan is to devise a new leveling system that doesn't need the springs for platform removal, which will make the whole system lower to the wood. This way, all you do is lift the glass right off and you're good to go. I just printed an 8" tall part with no XY shift at all so I know the magnets are doing their job. Stay tuned.....

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Mon May 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Ohhhh nice!

Leveling could be as easy as a screw under the magnet to move the chamber up and down?

We're looking into the entire environment solution.
Rework the bed temp controls into environ controls with a post print cool down process to let it cure at once. Again different densities we project are going to have a problem. We'll see.

Return to “Mods”