Second Power Supply Wiring for Heated Bed

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

watsonstudios

Second Power Supply Wiring for Heated Bed

Postby watsonstudios » Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm adding a heated bed and need to know how to wire a second power supply and which files in Marlin to edit. I know the thermistor I'll be using is an Epcos 100k and is #6 in Marlin. That's all I know at this point. So I need to verify wiring to make sure it is correct(see attached) and get some help on modifying the firmware. I have not yet modified my firmware, it is still exactly what was shipped with my printer.

Any takers?
Attachments
second PS wiring.jpg
This is the image from the RepRap wiki and I added the second PS to verify wiring.
second PS wiring.jpg (356.73 KiB) Viewed 2736 times

Liquid

Re: Second Power Supply Wiring for Heated Bed

Postby Liquid » Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

I would stick one supply to the 11amps connectors, and connect 1 power supply just to the 5 amps connectors. Keep them separated.

There is no reason what is depicted in the picture shouldnt work, and it might even be better, because they are sharing a ground. But Im not sure I would hook it up like it is in the pic.

The best thing to do, is to just get a power supply that will provide at least 16 amps

The two pics below should work with no problems. One shows them combined to distribute the load, the other pic shows them separated and yet still distributing the load.

NOTE: This is if the voltages are the same ONLY. If the two power supplies are different voltages, you will need to make sure to keep not only the power supplies separated, but also the voltages.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 2733 times

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 pm

I think I will hookup like the second image, keeping them separate. The new PS is a 12v and It's rated at 12.5A output so it's plenty for the bed. so I'm assuming I'm good for voltage.

TAM's PSU is 12v correct?

I found some 12v 30A power supplies cheap but they were all 3 output so I would of had to combine 3 wires for each common and V+ That's to many wires to twist together to get the full output. :)

I know where to connect the thermistor for the bed to Ramps so I'm good there.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 pm

My multimeter is busted, gotta get a new one, but yeah I believe its 12v all the way.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri May 24, 2013 4:24 pm

12v confirmed.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “Mods”