[PRINTABLE] Y Axis Rod Alignment Blocks

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[PRINTABLE] Y Axis Rod Alignment Blocks

Postby Liquid » Tue May 07, 2013 4:36 am

What do they do?
Aligns y axis rods
If the rods are slightly out of alignment, printer will be noisy and resonate at fast speeds. These will help make the printer movement quieter
And Coupled with this This Guide will net you one quiet printer (bearings are being orientated this way from the shop now from what I have heard)

I created this block to set the alignment of my y axis rods. I have found that these are a very good way to align your rods, in the case that you ever need to.

The optimum solution would be 2 struts that span the width of the machine, which locks the rods in place as you tighten them. However these struts would need to be approx 14 5/8 inches in length each. A length which makes keeping a tight tolerance tricky, as it would have to be printed in 2 pieces.

These blocks are the runner up best solution short of having a printer that can print over 14 inches. They work very well, and are more accurate than trying to set by eye or tape measure. The interlocking wood the series 1 is made of, makes this solution very productive.

If anyone wants to create those struts, whether it be printing, milling or some other fabrication method, then the dimensions you will need are in the pic below.

All dimensions were taken from the series 1 cad files.

I recommend when printing:
at least 200 microns
60mm/s max
20% infill minimum

Installation method is as follows:
Pop the top (guide coming soon)
Loosen rear steppers
Loosen y axis rod mounting brackets
Install these alignment blocks
Zip tie them, and tighten ties as much as possible with pliers
Tighten y axis rod mounting brackets.

Here is the link to the stl file(s)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here are some pics

V1

V2

LaserGnomes

Re: [PRINTABLE] Y Axis Rod Alignment Blocks

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

Not to be the harbinger of doom... but you are basing your square off.... wood?

For those* that feel the flex/warp is enough to unsquare their machine... I'm thinking this method probably isn't going to help them get square again.

I was thinking bars that traverse the entire build area and attach bar to bar... thus squaring the bars to each other and not the case (which is suspect).

*We aren't those people, but have seen the case flexing and honestly wonder if that could play into the calibration here.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 am

LOL. I understand why this seems suspect. There isnt much movement as it is with the mounts.

There is more going on than it seems. Anyway I explained about the struts in my original post.

This sets height, and distance from the inner wall. Those are pretty solid measurements due to the way the wood interlocks. Most frames probably come of the shop square. I was suspect about that, but I was pretty impressed. For being wood its a solid design.

As far as flex... flex doesnt com into play here. Plus there isnt any force here, its just hold it in place as you tighten the brackets. The rod mounts pretty much line themselves up but there is a slight bit of play without these. These are just to hold them in place.

If you have flex, something isnt tight. These are pretty wide also, so that minimizes it.

Once the top goes on, everything is aligned.

But the clincher is the beautiful movement I have. I will take a video when I get a chance.

Mileage may vary though, this isnt for everyone I agree with that.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am

Yeah I don't have a good solution for the entire process. Just like.. anchoring to floating edges doesn't seem like an anchor. But if you say they are solid ... cool.

Wasn't sure how "fluid" the box would become with panels missing is all.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm

I think it goes without saying, to always build on a level surface when working on your machine.

I understand the concern, but there just isnt much need for it. Yes the wood does flex by nature, but in this situation the are merely holding height and distance.

Which is already achievable without these, and no use of force also like these, except without these it is harder to line everything up by eye.

If I created the struts, it would be milled and not every has access to that type of equipment when they need it.

So I guess the moral of these are... Its better than eyeballing them. And available to everyone. Seeing as I test everything, I can vouch that they will get the y rods close enough to free up movement. UNless your machine is totally out of whack.

And these arent so much for rods that "go" out of whack, more as a way to get them lined up once you receive your machine......

For the most part, like I said the mounts only wiggle slightly, so there are only so many positions they be be placed.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue May 07, 2013 12:37 pm

How do you put the lid back on?

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Same way you took it off... :roll:

LOl j/k. These arent meant to be permanent, just a way to tighten down the y axis rod mounting brackets.

Im thinking of a better solution to make sure your rods are aligned to the machine, Until then, I can say that this works for sure, brought my noise level to almost nonexistent.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 pm

I think I missed the fact that these are temporary (the zip ties made me think it was permanent, otherwise you'd have to cut them right back off?). Do the y-axis mounting points allow a lot of movement? From the pics they just look like drilled holes, but maybe there is some built in adjustment I'm not seeing.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Hardly any movement at all. But there is some slight play. This is just a way to make sure all 4 mounting points are the same distance and height.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 pm

I think I worded my question poorly. I meant does the mounting method just allow you to position it wherever you want? Or you have to drill new holes into the wood? On my printer the rods just seem to be mounted via 2 drilled holes, so I don't see how you could adjust that without drilling new holes.

Return to “Mods”