[PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Re: [PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm

The directed duct helps get what is available closer to the model.
This should help.

Coming from various angles will also help.

We have an external fan that sits behind the printer and aims forward 100% of the time.

Our duct fan concept had a Y.. they went out and aimed back at 45' angles to each other.
Still created a small draft shadow on the back of the model.. and depending on the model shape.. could draft shadow the entire back anyway. We've had to rotate models to consider this cooling requirement.

Ideally though.. you're right. A circular displacement of air... joined with a circular system of lights.. that's the A+ in our book... have yet to find it.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sun May 05, 2013 1:25 pm

LG, I thought about adding dimples, but I dont really want to drill anything. I have a nice hand drill and drill press here but not everyone does probably.

This will be printed all of one time.

I would like to see what you meant about the neg space though. For sure.

When I get back from the park, I will try to put together a ring duct.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 1:34 pm

If you have a 3d printer.. you have dremil. That's just a given. If they don't.. they should go get one ; )

The negative space thing is actually simple. Discovered in TinkerCad actually.. trying to replicate it in other software packs as TC is going away.

Lets say you want a reenforced hole in a block. But you don't want to print the hole just the guide for it.. and have under that guide dimple.. reenforced walls.

First... make the block (Derp)
Then make the circle you want. Duplicate that circle and make it "slightly" larger in scale. LIke 0.001 larger. The scale amount should be <50% of the nozzle diameter.
Overlaps these circles and group them. This creates a circular wall with a very small "negative" outside or glow.
This negative space forces the slicer to thinking that the circle is an external wall and it generates loops around it.. (well actually inside it as it's in inverted neg space). This generates the perimeters you need in the structure without detaching it from the block.

When you look at the slicer.. you'll see support support support then a hole surround by walls.. support support support. Multiple that by however many layers and you end up with a column of reenforced walls within the block shape that you can have a solid top and bottom on for easy printing.
Depending on the design you could have the column be hollow making the drilling as hard as punching through the top and bottom layers only.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 3:03 pm

Looking sharp!

Solved the lighting issue...

Probably going to close the holes myself.. the included hex screws are not long enough to take advantage of the nuts. That said.. found some basic wood screws and drove those bad boys into the PLA. They hold enough... would be better if there wasn't a hole already there in this usage. May print another... without the vent or holes and see if there is any real difference.

Thanks again! Looking "Bauce" now ; )
Attachments
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG (86.95 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG (123.63 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG (62.86 KiB) Viewed 1879 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Bauce Sauce...
shaved 30 minutes off the 2.5hr print. Also removed the lettering.. but yeah ; )
Attachments
BauceSauce.jpg
BauceSauce.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 1879 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 3:34 pm

TheTechGuru wrote:When I get back from the park

Those are in the outside place huh? I've heard of those.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:
TheTechGuru wrote:When I get back from the park

Those are in the outside place huh? I've heard of those.

hehe

give me some time and I will create on with just dimples. I use the bolts that come with the fan. The fan is a slip/tight fit, so I dont bolt that in, just the air duct and then slip the fan in.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun May 05, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm printing one now with the plugs.
Just showing you the example of how to print solid layers with intentional reenforced areas for post print holes application.

ProTip: Check angle of your bracket before installing blindly on heated hotend, deformed back wall to shape of head but did not go liquid. Readjusted the bracket and it's fine now.. nozzle is deformed from interaction with the head.
So confirmed touching the head will deform.. being near the head not so much.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I'm printing one now with the plugs.

Duh, I just created the file with dimples but forgot to add cylinder reinforcement.

BRB

Wait, I have no clue how to do that. I will wait for your example. The file has always had a neg space (at least my file has it in creo) in that area so hopefully that helps.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Just turned it into just over an hour (1 Hour 15 mins according to Pronterface) print @ 200 microns. Will post more info after Ive printed something.

Just updated the my google drive. File Name is "TG_Fan_Duct_V3_No_Slit"

UPDATE: Im printing the final version I will probably print and it looks great. Im using the V3 with a slit right now to print the version shown below. Got fans running at 100 percent loops 20 percent infill and I havent seen supports and walls this good ever. Very Happy right now.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Attachments
Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg (392.85 KiB) Viewed 1877 times

Return to “Mods”