[PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Re: [PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Sun May 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Exactly...

the idea is to have the material come out... as a liquid and then immediately harden. Hitting the nozzle with air directly isn't a large concern honestly.. for a few reasons.

1. The heating element is far better at heating than a fan is at cooling.
2. It's insulated with that black wrap and is thick brass

To relieve this concept of temperature variances... we preheat for about 10m.. with ALL the fans on.
This creates a stable environment where swings in temp shouldn't occur moving forward.

Directly aiming air at the surface though has been on our menu for a while because honestly the fan is fairly far away and not that strong. We've seen instances of single sided cooling.. and know what happens when a portion of the model doesn't get continual cooling (drooping, sagging, bad fill etc). Additional sometimes our steppers get toasty.. so FANS GALORE over here. Like a wind tunnel of love.

-2 cents.

Nice file.. printing now TGG thanks again!

Liquid

Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks guys. I ended up have to get some sleep so I wasnt able to post this, but it looks like there is a learning curve with this.

The sides come out perfect, the part I printed is dimensionally accurate, but the the top layers dont blend together so well like they used to, As in the top surface layers.

The fill comes out perfect, the supports come out perfect, like really really good. Instead of the top layer blending together making a nice smooth surface like it used to, it doesnt.

So I think its important to to run the fan down for infill and keep it on for loops, in kisslicer.

Of course I used a v2 fan to print this v3.

LG before you get deep into printing this, I need to make one of the walls slightly thicker. N0t the biggest deal, but if you want the latest, I just uploaded it to my google drive.

LaserGnomes

Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Too late.... GITD running. I can add thickness manually if I need too..

Also added some aesthetics... since we film.. etc...

you'll see ; )

Honestly just printing this version for you.
Not sure you need that slit in the side.
The only cooling that needs to happen is on the nozzle.

Comments on that before I redesign?

Liquid

Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 pm

I would def having something blowing on the block, couldnt say just yet if its totally needed without testing one vs the other so get to it lol.

LaserGnomes

Sun May 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Seeing as the block is specifically insulated to shield itself from cooling... I'd say it's not needed ; )

I honestly thought those were wire break outs for the fan/thermsistor or something.

Do you have the tube without that box in it? Cutting this out is going to be a pain ... where as "select object.. DEL... save as" is much easier ; )

Thanks!

Liquid

Sun May 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Yes I will slice it out right now.

I added a file without the port, to the google drive.

LaserGnomes

Sun May 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Dang... almost beat you.. ok you had instant review.. mine was 20m... in the land of rapid prototyping.. 20m is instant.

TINKERCAD is hax...seriously...
Attachments
TinkHax.jpg
TinkHax.jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 1627 times

LaserGnomes

Sun May 05, 2013 1:09 pm

one final thought on this... would be to remove the bolt holes.

instead leave small indents on the top to reference where they are. Then after printed.. drill/tap them out.

This would clean up the support pattern underneath, notice the holes... takes time for head to move around those voids vs just straight paths.

Additionally.. if you wanted the support that the perimeters give to the holes themselves .. I've developed a trick to fake out neg space.. and have the slicer generate walls inside the model to compensate. I can detail if interested.

jbrisbin

Sun May 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, LG.

Having thought about it a bit more in the intervening time, I note that the highest velocity air is directed in a line along the left-right (Y, if I have it right) axis. This would appear to work best for beads laid down in that Y axis, pretty well for beads laid down from front to back (X-axis increasing?) and least well for back to front (X-axis decreasing) paths.

Would the results not be improved by wrapping the duct outlet around the hot end, forming an annular ring, so that the air flow and cooling would be more nearly constant independent of the current direction of extrusion?

It would, of course, be more difficult to design and would require careful installation to avoid contact with the hot end (or an insulating standoff of some kind). Internal vanes might be needed to help equalize the flow around the circle.

Making the result would be pretty challenging with traditional manufacturing, but would be straight forward enough with a printer.

Is that gilding the lily or a potentially worthwhile enhancement?

There are several ducts on Thingiverse that adopt this strategy. I don't really see much indication there whether they are really significantly better in practice that the simpler single-axis variants, though.

Liquid

Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Thats next lol. I need to fine tune this one and I will create a ring duct, unless anyone else gives it a stab before me.

I was concerned about a pla duct being close to the head, but it looks like it will work just fine.

Return to “Mods”