[PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Sat May 04, 2013 5:57 pm

UPDATE: Here is the latest version of the fan duct stl

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

V3 is the latest as of right now. The first two versions have also been uploaded in case anyone wants to check out the evolution of the part.

Suggested Settings when installed:

Loops: Fan 100%
Inside/Infil: Fan 10%-30%

These are just starting settings, modify to your needs.

Here are some pics of V3

V3 WIthout Slit

Everything below is just the original post

Working on a fan duct for my printer. Dont ask why I made it so thick lol, for some reason it made sense to me at the time to make the walls 4mm thick all around.

This iteration doesnt have any way of keeping itself clamped to the fan mount, is was merely for sizing. I also made the wall too thin where the duct meets the fan housing.

So with a few changes it should be good to go if anyone is interested.

Here are some pics. I will upload the stl for anyone who wants it once I proof it further.
Attachments
Untitled-33.jpg
Untitled-33.jpg (15.6 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Untitled-22.jpg
Untitled-22.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Untitled-12.jpg
Untitled-12.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Last edited by Liquid on Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Liquid

Re: [PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Actual pics before I started changing the cad file.

LaserGnomes

Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm

STLs??!

Been looking to design something. Perhaps I can share the design I'm working on as a collab.

It includes a duct which hits from offset 45 degree angles... also has a few LED ports to add lighting straight done/angled at head.

got sidetracked with other things but after seeing the droop on the vase.. reminds me the cooling could use a revisit from the Gnomes.

Liquid

Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Im about to upload it in about 10 mins. Putting the finishing touches on it.

LaserGnomes

Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm

assuming that box inside is for the quick connectors for the hotend? Looks like cut out for wires leading outside.... just visually dissecting it.

Liquid

Sat May 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Thats actually a small port to blow on the block holding the peek and a small upper portion of the wire. Still working that out.

No cut out is needed for the fan, but I suppose I can put one in.

Here are some pics and a v2 stl, still doesnt have the pegs to hold it onto the fan bracket yet. The fan just sits right in that square opening.

STL

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Liquid on Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquid

Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Heres a pic of V1 before I lengthened it and brought it a tad further away from the hotend.

Liquid

Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Working on V3, will update first post when I get something I like. I think this one is going to be it. Getting good flow from v2, this one should be even better both flow wise and dimension wise.

Liquid

Sun May 05, 2013 12:41 am

UPDATE: The First Post has been updated to link to the latest version.

Everything below is just part of the original post, and actual pics are V2
I should have probably put this under projects until I perfected it but, I whateva lol

So yeah, I think this is the keeper. Yep thats the one. Im about to test it on a print right now.

Looks closer than it is to the head, in the pics, but im confident its far enough away yet close enough to work. If not I will move it in the file.

I printed this with 350 microns layers to speed up testing. Going to reprint it now at 200 microns while the duct is installed.

Will post the stl once I proof it on a print.

UPDATE: BRIDGING IS DARN NEAR PERFECT.

jbrisbin

Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 am

I don't yet have my printer and am pretty noobish about this, so let me make sure I understand what you are doing.

The purpose of the fan and the ducting is to try to convince the extruded material to cool quickly and stay where it is put. An additional benefit of ducting is that the air from the fan is no longer hitting the surface of the hot end, drawing heat from it that must be replaced to continue to melt the filament.

One of the more problematic issues that the cooling of the extruded material effects is the amount of overhang a bead of extruded material will tolerate before it sags into the area below it, compromising the print. This is called bridging.

Bridging is important because the better it works, the better you can create overhangs approaching parallel to the bed and the less support material needs to be included when the model is sliced.

Reducing support is a very good thing because support is messy in the final model, requiring time to remove and cosmetically repair, increases time of printing dramatically and the material usage during the print and wastage after it is removed. Support increases everything that would effect cost in a product: labor, materials, machine wear, time, etc.

So, when you added "UPDATE: BRIDGING IS DARN NEAR PERFECT." you are saying that, in addition to fitting nicely, the duct performed its intended function and improved the print quality in the important area of bridging.

Good job!

Sorry for belaboring the obvious.

Return to “Mods”