[PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

turnrock

Re: [PRINTABLE] Series 1 Fan Duct

Postby turnrock » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

do you have any problems with the heat traveling up the extruder now? I remember an older post from someone on the TAM staff that said the fan helps to keep that under control. would redirecting the air cause heat to creep up to the stepper or is there still enough air circulating?

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 am

As mentioned we have noticed some temp swings using the duct.

His original design incorporate an air slit.. (which we argued might be over kill.. maybe not).

We haven't had any problems with heat creep... though we are running a pretty good little fan from the back that might be compensating for that on it's own.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Fri May 10, 2013 10:32 am

In the interest of keeping everyone properly informed.... I can say that I havent printed anything I like yet, fan duct wise.

Ive got 8 iterations here, and not doing anything but wasting pla.

Will a fan duct work? Yes, but this fan doesnt output all that much to begin with. This will only work if the duct has less restriction in it. Im losing a lot of air out of the top of the fan, so a redesign is def needed.

So far the last iteration has made my parts really nice, bridging is awesome, but the airflow isnt that great.

I havent noticed any heat creep. I printed one fan duct with another attached. The latest took 2 hours to print because of the support material.

My next design will include a slot for a small amount of air to blow on the metal block though, as I think its needed in the long run.

Im gonna back burner this for a few days though, as I want to get out of this room for a while.

Bottom line, it needs 360 air, but a slightly different body shape, slightly different outlet shape, and a change in how the air is introduced into the outlet ring.

jbrisbin

Postby jbrisbin » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Since it looks like an 80mm fan will clear clear, but a 92mm fan is a bit too close, I ordered a couple of high pressure 80mm fans.

All other things being equal (and they never are) this should provide at least 4 times the airflow. Since this fan is intended to operate with higher back pressure, and the usable blade area on a 80mm fan is a much larger fraction of the whole than on a 40mm fan, the air volume delivered at the max rate should be 8 times or more.

At the level that is actually needed, it should be much quieter than a smaller fan.

I am finally in possession of my printer, though I have yet to power it up because I spent last night putting a stand under it :oops:.

Nonetheless, I hope you will upload your circular design, even if it is not yet fully satisfactory.

I lack any really important prints I need to make and would like to play with it.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Sure, the fan duct is being uploaded right now.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

File Name is TG_Fan_Ring_Duct_V1_Latest

It was always meant to be a rough draft just for testing, it needs work, but thats the file.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

Here's the "round the extruder" one I was talking about.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6173

Mixed with 360 led lighting like this
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8868

don't see why the lights and the fan can't all be on the same circuit.

jarhead

Postby jarhead » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Liquid wrote:Thats actually a small port to blow on the block holding the peek and a small upper portion of the wire. Still working that out.

No cut out is needed for the fan, but I suppose I can put one in.

Here are some pics and a v2 stl, still doesnt have the pegs to hold it onto the fan bracket yet. The fan just sits right in that square opening.

STL

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Anyone have this stl still?

Return to “Mods”