[PRINTABLE] Misc Supports and Spacers

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[PRINTABLE] Misc Supports and Spacers

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Got into the machine again today. I noticed a slight binding sound when the gantry would move quickly. It was barely noticeable, but noticeable enough to a person with OCD to convice them to track it down.

So I removed the top again and found the cause was a slight flex that happens when moving very fast, in the area of the gantry that retains the y axis bearings. I made a spacer/support for that area (see pics) and now the flex doesnt happen and neither does the sound. I am very happy with the outcome.

Wile I was at it, I decided to add some spacers to the y axis stepper motor mounts. It probably does nothing, but Now I can tighten the belt without worry that the mounts will slowly warp from the tension over long period of time.

Like I said, this is just from someone who has actual OCD, and not really mandatory like bearing orientation. All in all these are more preventative steps than anything.

Here are some pics
Attachments
DSC00833.JPG
DSC00833.JPG (140.17 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
DSC00835.JPG
DSC00835.JPG (137.03 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
DSC00841.JPG
DSC00841.JPG (138.48 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
Last edited by Liquid on Thu May 02, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquid

Re: Misc Supports and Spacers

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Few More Angles. Im pretty happy with how this turned out, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to add a little extra touch to their Series 1.

Im fairly certain even though this isnt really even a issue, TAMS will probably eventually extend the stepper mounts to reach the back panel, with slots and all.
Attachments
DSC00834.JPG
DSC00834.JPG (141.97 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
DSC00838.JPG
DSC00838.JPG (138.28 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
DSC00839.JPG
DSC00839.JPG (135.63 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 pm

We should be testing and assembling a list of mod parts for general distribution.

Can you drop these in the google drive? PM me if you don't have access yet.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 am

Here are the STLS's if you want to pop them on the Drive. The more testers the better, although these are pretty simple. But yeah the more testers the better.

The inner spacer portion of the bracket for the gantry is 45.20mm on purpose to allow fine tuning.
Attachments
Rear_Stepper_Spacer_and_Gantry_Support.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 am

I'm gonna print out the Y-axis stepper mount spacer tonight. The picture I posted before shows mine was pretty far out of alignment. It would be great if future versions from TAM had tabs into the back panel.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 am

Hi Tech Guru,

If you ever have some time, do you think you could write up some instructions on taking apart the machine? I know there's a lot of people (me included) that are averse to taking panels off, and all the panels seem interconnected so it's hard to judge which ones to take off to gain access to different areas.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 am

Sure. Most of it is pretty easy and totally something I think even those who are slightly afraid, can do. I will start writing something up tonight.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am

What about those of us that are "entirely afraid" can you write it up for them?

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 pm

I tightened the Y-axis rod supports by removing the back panel because I was originally hesitant to remove the top because I didn't want to mess with the Y-Axis belts. Once I got in there, the steppers were blocking the nuts and I had to remove the steppers and belts anyway. Removing the Y-axis steppers required unscrewing the 4 stepper screws which was extremely difficult with the top panel still on as seen in this picture.

One positive of going in from the back was I have clearer access to the Y-Axis rod nuts to get a socket wrench on rather than squeezing needle nose pliers in there.

I would be hesitant to remove both the top and the back because I don't know if you would loose too much rigidity in the whole frame.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

What about those of us that are "entirely afraid" can you write it up for them?

LG, YOU own the machine, the machine doesnt own you. Therefore it should do what YOU say it should do within reason of course. Kick that f*#@^&% thing until it says "ENOUGH! I will do what you say!! PLEASE! STOP! JEEZUS!"

Not sure if there is anything I can do for those who are afraid to totally own their machines ;) j/k sorta

One positive of going in from the back was I have clearer access to the Y-Axis rod nuts to get a socket wrench on rather than squeezing needle nose pliers in there.

You can use a wrench, I just didnt have one on hand. Plenty of room for the box end in there if you do it like I do and just remove the top.

There isnt much to mess up. Im not downing tams assembly team, but if they can do it.. well

Most everything requires either the back or top be taken off, but I havent ran into anything that requires both at the same time. Not sure I would take both off at the same time either. Well I would, but not sure I would suggest it to someone else.

I will snatch my Fiance's pink ipod and see if I can write up a guide or something.

Here is the jist of taking the top off in the meantime.

Unplug your machine.

1. Take a sharp pencil. If you are happy with your belt tension, mark around the big washer holding the y axis idler pulleys.
2. Take a marker. The same big washer has play around the bolt head. So you want to mark around the bolt head itself. The marker will wipe off later, but it is important if your bolt and large washer are not centered to each other. (When I tension my belts, I actually pull back on the washer itself as far back as the play will allow around the bolt head so I dont have to mark this, I automatically know Im going to pull the washer and not the bolt, back to my marks)
3. Remove belt from around idler pulleys.
4. Start removing the screws holding just the top in. Use a neo magnet and place it on the nuts before removing the screw. This will make sure the nuts dont drop somewhere hard to reach. (Also stick the nut back onto the magnet when assembling.) Remove the screws holding the y axis limit switch, let the switch just hang.
5. Push your gantry back, position your main harness to the right.
6. Start lifting on the front edge of the top. Use just slight pressure. Work your way back.
7. Once you get to the tabs that go into the back, use slight pressure to lift the top from the front and pull the top towards you.
8. Twist the top around the main wire harness and whala the tops off.

From here you can almost access everything you will ever need to access.

To put it all back, just reverse. Remember to use a magnet to hold the nuts.

If you need to tighten your rear y axis rod brackets, you just loosen the y axis steppers and either let them hang down in the bays or position them on their sides towards the middle of the machine.

If you are happy with the position of the y axis rods, I would take a sharp pencil and also trace around the brackets holding the rods in place before any work is done. They arent going to move but its nice to always have a starting mark in case you ever need it. I would trace around both the front panel brackets and rear brackets.

Like I said, Just about everything you will ever need to do is accessible from the top being off. This even includes working on the "x" axis rod monting brackets, the gantry itself etc etc.

To me, this is a must know. I know we are in a time where desktop 3D printing is waay more accessible than even a few years ago, but we are still in a space where it requires a little tenacity to make sure "your" experience is as smooth as possible. One day you will be able to just take it back to walmart and say... its broken, but that aint today, thats for sure lol.

Unless you are LG and live above the TAMS building.... hahaha
Last edited by Liquid on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mods”