Pen

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Rodwagner

Pen

Postby Rodwagner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Well I have the first version of a PLA pen finished. I switch nozzle to .75 and I'm extruding at 190 with a speed of 440 mm/min. The filament sticks well to previous printed models. It will take getting used to it if I build an Eiffel Tower but who knows. It will be really great for repairing printouts and easily modifying previous printouts or failures. I have it connected to Repetier for testing but also have it hooked up to a LCD/SD so it can be stand alone. Using Arduino Mega and RAMPS same electronics that are in the Series 1. Should be able to plug into the Series 1 using second extruder and hot end #2. Then you can control it from same software you use for your Series 1. Stays cool enough to hold in hand now just need to make nice hand piece and more testing.
Attachments
pen.jpg
pen.jpg (661.42 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (588.8 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
test1.jpg
test1.jpg (566.63 KiB) Viewed 2465 times

LaserGnomes

Re: Pen

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Let's see some welded frogs!

watsonstudios

Postby watsonstudios » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Nice! I've been contemplating the same thing for awhile now, mainly for welding/repairing prints. My version is a "dumb" concept - meaning no software or external electronics. Using a modified hot glue gun, I plan on creating something similar. We'll see. :)

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Tried the modified glue gun and didn't like the effect. or the way I had to control it. This works much better with the advantage of being able to switch out nozzles. Looking to make a 1.5 nozzle next to see what that does. You can weld prints with a digital soldering iron but this works better as it deposits some PLA and helps in the weld. Will post welded frogs tomorrow. Its really nice to have total control over the pen and the rate of flow. Writing some gcode routines to give me better control for certain processes. Will load them on SD card and run from LCD/SD controller.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 pm

This is really cool. Like a pla reworking station.

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

I also use a Kendal Soldering station to handle some of the reworking tasks. The heat gun has interchangeable tips and the soldering iron and heat gun are digitally controllable. With the PLA Pen and this device there isn't anything I can't do to rework a model. The PLA Pen was necessary to add more PLA to parts that needed a real build up. You can use the soldering iron like a welder having filament in one hand and the iron in the other. But it is slower and not as accurate as the pen. With the pen you can lay down a pattern on to blue tape and then use the heat gun to consolidate the birds nest into a solid object if you want. Welding is easier and I'm going to redesign the nozzle now that I having been playing with it. I really want a 1.5 or even 1.75 nozzle to build structures. The ability to add texture to a model with the pen is very entertaining from an artist standpoint. It is also an easy way to add a second color to a model. Hitman might get hair !!!
Attachments
Kendal.jpg
Kendal.jpg (561.88 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Heat Station.jpg
Heat Station.jpg (832.86 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 am

Ive just got a W.E.P 858D, but it works pretty good. Air and Temp control etc Interchangeable tips

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 am

Looks to be the same heat gun. I liked having the 2 in the same unit. Started with Radio Shack Digital station and a adjustable heat gun from Harbor Freight but the combo unit works as well for most applications. The larger heat gun has some uses but no tips. LG is happily using them both in his PLA adventures.

Return to “Mods”