[PRINTABLE] Y Axis Idler Pulley Clamps Distributing Tension

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Elijah
Site Admin

Re: Y Axis Idler Pulley Clamps - Distributing Tension

Postby Elijah » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:38 pm

The Y-Motor mounts are reinforced on two sides, which while not due for any design awards, has never been a notable cause of failure.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 am

I tried printing these clams and the teeth don't have much definition on the resulting part which causes them to slip occasionally. I am using the default TAM settings for Slic3r. Any tips on improvements?

I am going to start a different thread to discuss accuracy of my printed parts since I noticed measuring the parts I print shows they are not exactly to scale. I want to print some cubes to get an exact amount they are off before I dive into calibrating it.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 am

crisbtreets wrote:I tried printing these clams and the teeth don't have much definition on the resulting part ... I noticed measuring the parts I print shows they are not exactly to scale

Ours didn't either actually. Perhaps less teeth more height on the design?
Ours holds but you have to really tighten it down which was concerning as was a bit tighter than we wanted.

Per accuracy. PLA shrinks.. you may or maynot know this. 1% is pretty standard shrinkage. WatsonStudios as well one of clients has proven this with very precise measuring.

That said... if it's more than 1%... that's a problem.

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:28 am

My prints are on the large size. I don't remember by how much right now. The default TAM Slic3r settings have an extrusion multiplier of 1.1 which from the little bit of reading might be causing it. Most of the forums I am seen talk about changing the steps per millimeter setting the in firmware but both the RepRap forum and mentioned here, that doesn't seem to be the recommended way to do it anymore.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

I broke my camera by punching it yesterday.... Kept switching from pic mode to movie mode sporadically, distressing when you are in the middle of filming. Newish camera that I just got a new sd card for...

So I "would" take pics to show the definition of mine, but I cant until I reassemble the camera.

The teeth worked out perfect for me. Small enough to allow the smallest tension adjustment. Big enough to hold.

Im posting my kisslicer settings here so that you guys can see if it changes anything for you, not just with this print but whatever you want to try it on. You should only need to adjust your filament size and temps.

I did have to do a little clean up on the first layer of teeth, because of how the first layer smashes down a bit to stick. But that just consisted of running a blade at an angle on the edge.
Attachments
TG_KISS.zip
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:28 pm

crisbtreets wrote: an extrusion multiplier of 1.1

This would give the model more material on the same layer. If it's actually physically larger in dimensions.. then the slicer has scaled it up or something.

If it's larger in one dimension vs another... then Tooth math seems to matter. Try printing the 40cm cube test object and measure it.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:
crisbtreets wrote: an extrusion multiplier of 1.1

This would give the model more material on the same layer. If it's actually physically larger in dimensions.. then the slicer has scaled it up or something.

If it's larger in one dimension vs another... then Tooth math seems to matter. Try printing the 40cm cube test object and measure it.

Yeah that would make sense. A lower number than what is actually physically output would cause more material. A higher number would cause less output. Same concept as the filament size setting??

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:23 pm

Yeah that is part of the same equation.

Not sure the exact formula ..
These are the extrusion variables the slicer considers
Filament Diameter
Extrusion width (normally the head size.. larger for gaps between lines / smaller for overlap)
Extrusion multiplier (what this is even for I don't know, other than overcoming poor filament feeds)
Flow Tweak (think it just adjusts some of these other variables at the back end)

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Where can i find the extrusion multiplier

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Under filament settings in Slic3r. KISS might call it extrusion width....

Return to “Mods”