Spool Adapter, The ultimate solution while keeping it simple

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

Spool Adapter, The ultimate solution while keeping it simple

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 pm

So, Ive been working with creo parametrics 2.0 and read that the oem spool holder/spool pulls in a weird way. Instead of printing a new spool holder, I created an add on. Eventually I will be making Elijahs pvc carriage, but until then I came up with this.

I made it a long time ago in cad as a theory and its proving to actually work.

You just slip it on over your TAMS provided spool holder and it will keep from... Binding, Retraction, etc. Doesnt look like much, but give it a shot, slip it over the original spool adapter until it "almost" hits the spool, it will feed smoothly and you will forget about retractions and watching the spool.

#2 works the best, but both are pretty good. Just remember to slide it until it "almost" hits the spool, and it will feed great, but stop retractions which cause binding.

I originally gave someone my yellow filament that came with my original machine that didnt survive shipping... well it was yellow, and they didnt really dig it so I got a 1/4 of it back and almost a whole spool of red (awesome) and am now using it for configuring. So yellow or not, Im proud to offer a picture. It its the second thing Ive printed after a draft of "hitman".

So I present to you, the simplest thing on type a machine forums... The SPOOL ADAPTER. For the newbies who dont have a "beta" spool carriage. hhmmm hmm LG :p this will keep you from having to "watch" your filament
Attachments
Adapter.jpg
Adapter.jpg (141.85 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Spool_Holder_Adapter.zip
(28.93 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Spool_Adapter.jpg
Spool_Adapter.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 3904 times

LaserGnomes

Re: Spool Adapter, The ultimate solution while keeping it si

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am

Nice add!

Will have to try this over the "over head method" to see which is really better.

Need to print a new spool holder first though.

Thanks!

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:19 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:Nice add!

Will have to try this over the "over head method" to see which is really better.

Need to print a new spool holder first though.

Thanks!

Thanks LG. Hope it tests well for you too.

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 pm

I noticed on http://news.typeamachines.com/?p=263 that there seem to be some laser cut plywood spool holders that mount on top of the machine. Any chance of getting one of those?

I have been thinking of doing something like this:http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52873

I eventually want to upgrade to the dual extruder to print PVA support material which is much more susceptible to moisture. Not sure how to combine the 2 to have a overhead hanger that is still sealed to keep moisture down.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 am

crisbtreets wrote:I noticed on http://news.typeamachines.com/?p=263

What you did not noticed was the blazing "BETA TESTER ONLY" on the front there ; )

They exist, they need refinement, they work pretty well though. It has not cured whipping off the spool though.

As far as PVA... this is a topic we have been pondering for some time (having the DE already) and what we've considered is this... brace yourself.

Over the spool holder.. a sealed box. In that box.. the PVA. Below.. a small hole with nylon gromet to feed the PVA through. The box... has an atmospheric system like this
- Air breather scrubbing the moisture out though heat
- positive chamber pressure feed from De-moisturized air
- small air leak where PVA exits assures no moisture gets in
- Cap to seal it when not in use.
- a crap ton of desiccants (already have them sitting here)

Thoughts on that?

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 am

Dont get used to those top mounted spool holders, If everything goes well today, Im going to be posting 2 pretty big mods.

crisbtreets

Postby crisbtreets » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 am

I bought a clear plastic container last night at home depot that is about the width of the printer and should hold at least 4 8" diameter spools. Picked up a length of PVC pipe as well that I will print some brackets to mount horizontally to hang the spools from. Then some ports to feed the filament though with some type of door to close them off when not printing, like you said. I'll post some pics when I get something usable.

I think I am technically a beta tester. I originally ordered the dual extruder but after waiting for 3 months I was told found they identified some issues with the duals and wouldn't ship any new ones until they were resolved. The compromise was a got a single extruder but its pre-wired for a dual. I guess the theory is to install the second exturder, plug-in, flash new firmware and I would be all set. I even think I might have some bed leveling update since the description of how to level the bed didn't match with what was installed. They look closer to what LG posted in his video except the ordering of the thumbscrews and nuts are different.

Difficulty is that I am in Boston and can't just walk into the office to see all of the beta toys. That being said, is there any forum for beta tester to get info on new stuff coming out.

Jaguar_5

Postby Jaguar_5 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I will definitely be printing this out, feeding the filament from the center of the spool will definitely help a lot. Nice work!

Return to “Mods”