[PRINTABLE] Caliper Adapters - Checking Bed Level

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Re: Caliper Adapters - Checking Bed Level

Postby LaserGnomes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

TheTechGuru wrote:Yeah, its just a zip tie

BAH!

Personal challenge to never use glue or zip tie ever again.. we have a 3d printer now that shit is irrelevant.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:39 am

Ill have to pick up zip ties to try it, i know i had some but i cant find anything when i need it.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am

You know... Now that Im thinking about it.. I was playing around with kisslicer, trying to learn what the codes mean, and noticed that its built in to TAMS kisslicer settings to go ".3 from home" on the z axis after heatup. (Pre Gcode insert)

Sooo... technically couldnt we just level the bed by:

1. Adjusting all 4 corners of the bed until it makes contact with the nozzle
2. Backing off the z axis adjustment screw by an 1/8th turn or so (Counterclockwise)

??

Not all that familiar with the codes yet, so it might not back the z axis by .3 like I think it would. But even if it didnt, leveling the bed off of the nozzle itself and backing off the z axis adjustment screw seems like it would still work.

At that point all you would need to do is adjust the adjustment screw for whatever layer height you are printing with.

Correct? Or close?

And if that line of thinking is correct, then LG was right. The real use for this would be to find fluctuations in the bed itself.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 am

Just make a square with an X in it. 4 layers tall or something. While the printer is running an edge.. adjust the deck height for that edge. You'll see if smearing or beading up.

Here's our 3 cent solution to bed level.

Eyeball it, set the z-height.
Start your print.
Wait for it to fail, let it get a few layers in.
Find out which side is too far/too close and adjust those things while it is printing.
This print will be a throw away... and with 3+ layers should be really easy to peel off.
Once you are there... pause print, drop the bed, pull that crap off, restart the print.

Wastes a bit of pla.. but very little time.
The benefit to this way is... you are only really leveling the area that matters. If you bed is warped elsewhere trying to nail that down doesn't really play into it and is a waste of time.

We've found that even our tempered glass is slightly bowed in all directions.. so that said.. we just print a few layers to test that region for good level for our part.. and go at it.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

HAHAHA! Take that LG. Print the zip tie too if it makes you feel better lol. Nice find TurnRock

I now level my bed by just making contact with the nozzle on all 4 corners. I then lowered the bed and put a white dot on the z axis adjustment knob for reference.

Now if I print at 50 microns I just leave the adjustment screw where it is. If I print at 300 microns I back off the screw counter clockwise 180 degrees. All other resolutions are in between. Works wonderful

The pre gcode adjusts the bed 300 microns from home right before it starts printing stock which is a good thing.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I consider this part to only be needed to check the flatness of the build surface.

A replacement bed leveling solution and resolution settings can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=357

Return to “Mods”