[PRINTABLE] Caliper Adapters - Checking Bed Level

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[PRINTABLE] Caliper Adapters - Checking Bed Level

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 am

So I got bored and made these. I may not be able to print just yet, but I can still design :twisted: This is what I plan on using when I get up and running, as I dont want to use a dial gauge, I want to be able to emulate the print head movement, and I already have a decent pair of calipers.

These are two different type of adapters that theoretically should allow you to attach calipers to your print head, and use the calipers bottom slider to level your printing bed. They are designed to be installed in place of your print nozzle.

Theoretically this should be one of the easiest and fastest ways to level your bed, being able to copy the exact movement of your print head.

These are not tested yet by me, but are designed for calipers that are 16mm wide on the slider/ruler portion. If you have different sized calipers, let me know the width and I will design a file for you. The slot in both adapters allows for a tie strap to keep the calipers in place.

They are designed to be printed on their backs just as the stl is set, with very minimal support for the section that installs in place of the printing nozzle. The dimensions are pretty important, so I would print this at a minimum of .2mm (200microns)

Adapter 1 is directly inline with the print nozzle (which I would prefer for exact alignment). The calipers will have to be inserted into the adapter after the adapter is installed into the print head.

Adapter 2 is offset by 6mm and the calipers can be installed into the adapter before or after the adapter is installed into the print head.

Again, not tested, but I can easily make adjustments if needed.

Comments on successful uses would be appreciated.

UPDATE

I consider this part to only be needed to check the flatness of the build surface.

A replacement bed leveling solution and resolution settings can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=357
Attachments
Caliper_Adapter_Line_Drawing.png
Caliper_Adapter_Line_Drawing.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Caliper_Adapters.zip
ZIp File Containing STL's
(27.66 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Caliper_Adaptors.png
Pictures of Adapter 1 and Adapter 2
Caliper_Adaptors.png (77.47 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
Last edited by Liquid on Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LaserGnomes

Re: Caliper Adapters - Checking Bed Level

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 am

Do you have pics of your actual tool. I'm lost where these fit into the process.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I added a line drawing to the original post, hopefully it clears it up. Im not able to print them yet, but hopefully should have actual pics up the end of this week, or the beginning of next.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh nice... yeah that would have saved me about $40 for the dial. Oh well. BETASQUAD!!!

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:30 am

Its always good to have a dial gauge around anyways ;)

I didnt think it was the best solution in this case. Ive seen the mount you guys are using, and although its better than not having anything, it seems to not be the best solution. Even if this adapter is modified to accept a dial gauge, a caliper would still work better in this case.

If checking steel, or hard surfaces that have no give, a dial gauge is the best. If testing something that shouldnt be pushed on or has any give whatsoever, the calipers are best.

And Im willing to bet if you level your bed using the dial gauge, and then immediately switch to this adapter, your bed will probably be either low or high in the front but not level with the rear. Due to even the slightest pressure a dial gauge has.

Give it a shot, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to print. It should be the best way to find out if your bed is even slightly off.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:29 am

Frankly the dial gauge just confirmed our suspicions that the acrylic was warped. Once that was known.. the quest for "absolute level" became fruitless.

Now with the glass... we revisited it... and find that just doing it by hand while it's printing takes less time and produces better results.

We were actually laughing at this process discussing your design "nice design.. although basically just eyeballing it has always worked better for me... yup me too."

Going to print and check though.. can never have enough tools!

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 am

What is the solid black thing in your diagram? A ziptie?

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 am

turnrock wrote:What is the solid black thing in your diagram? A ziptie?

Yeah, its just a zip tie, add shims in between if needed I guess. I thought about adding a bottom to it that the caliper rests on, with a native way to lock it in, but didnt want to get too crazy in order to make sure you can throw as many brands of calipers as possible into it. So a ziptie keeps it nice and simple.

Most calipers should have a backer on the back to keep the slide in, just pull the caliper up until that meets the bottom edge of the adapter and lock it down.

Im not sure if 16mm width on the rule part of the caliper is industry standard or close, but I can make changes if anyone needs it.

We were actually laughing at this process discussing your design "nice design.. although basically just eyeballing it has always worked better for me... yup me too."

Eyeballing it sounds fine. The only thing this probably really offers is to be able to rule out the surface being unlevel if you're troubleshooting a problem. Just adds a little certainty to the mix.

Like I said, I havent tested it, but I will at some point. I will post my own personal results once I have them.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 am

Printed one and it fits my cheap calipers perfect, Ill test it out later tonight.
Attachments
caliperholder.jpg
caliperholder.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 4026 times

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am

turnrock wrote:Printed one and it fits my cheap calipers perfect, Ill test it out later tonight.

Thats so cool, nice to see it in physical form. Can you snap a few more pics when testing? Thanks for giving it a shot. Much appreciated.

Return to “Mods”