Lights, Camera, Action!

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

CurtM

Lights, Camera, Action!

Postby CurtM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Lights!

Camera!

Action!

Here's an overview of what I've done to my Series 1 over the past week. I installed a CCFL lighting system in the printer to aid with seeing the prints in ambient light and get better capture with the Camera, as well as an LED bar for forward light for the Camera (and just for LaserGnomes, lots and lots of clips). I also installed a camera with a printed bracket (had to brace it with some aluminium) and will be Live streaming/recording most of the time it's printing. Finally, I installed a RepRapDiscount Smart Controller with a printed hinged case so that prints no longer depend on a computer.

All in all, very excited to have the printer and will be making more substantial mods to it in the near future! I'm in the process of banging out some real prints rather than just parts, so I'll post those soon.

LaserGnomes

Re: Lights, Camera, Action!

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:16 pm

*mind blown* yeah that's more like it.

What's the setup cost you (lighting)?

Seriously been looking at better lighting. Was talking to TAM about LED strips that are timed to come on as the bed lowers to that parallel. That way you aren't lighting the entire case all the time. Just where you need it. After the bed drops enough maybe some of the top lights turn off so only 10 leds or so are actually following the bed down.

That for me would be perfect. But this is amazing man nice work! The whole kit is supreme.

CurtM

Postby CurtM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:*mind blown* yeah that's more like it.

What's the setup cost you (lighting)?

Seriously been looking at better lighting. Was talking to TAM about LED strips that are timed to come on as the bed lowers to that parallel. That way you aren't lighting the entire case all the time. Just where you need it. After the bed drops enough maybe some of the top lights turn off so only 10 leds or so are actually following the bed down.

That for me would be perfect. But this is amazing man nice work! The whole kit is supreme.

The lighting? Not counting the cost to make the clips, maybe 20 dollars?

It's one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-CLK12WT2-cathode-light-WHITE/dp/B000JQ17WU) wired directly into the Series 1 PSU. The CCFL lights are just velcro'd into the corners of the chassis.

and the Inverter is just stuck on the bottom of the chassis where it won't get hit by anything moving (going to print some thin channels to stick down and get rid of the tape).

As well as one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Halo-LED-Bias-Lighting/dp/B0053B347M) wired into the Series 1 PSU via a 12v to 5v power converter. It's stuck to a piece of scrap aluminium and held onto the chassis with, you guessed it, clips!

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:12 pm

So you enclosed your case for sake of lighting and the additional center mount of a camera. Nice.

We're about to be doing some serious LED work around here so imagine that will spill into the printer as it's dreadfully dark even with our newly installed lighting.

Seriously looking at the SD though.. pretty sweet. Even the back is clean *ahem TAM ahem*

CurtM

Postby CurtM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:58 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:So you enclosed your case for sake of lighting and the additional center mount of a camera. Nice.

We're about to be doing some serious LED work around here so imagine that will spill into the printer as it's dreadfully dark even with our newly installed lighting.

Seriously looking at the SD though.. pretty sweet. Even the back is clean *ahem TAM ahem*

I guess you could call it enclosed, but popping it off is a matter of 2 seconds, it'll just hang off the side of the case.

I really like how that came out, it took like 4 failed (I cancelled them because they got stringy or warped) prints on each side, but once I got it down, it worked like a champ.

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Perfect lighting !!! I bought those strips and haven't got around to attaching. You just motivated me to install. Yes laserGnomes needs light I will testify to that point. Your photos make the printer look really classy. Great Job.

LonnieRobertson

Postby LonnieRobertson » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am

CurtM wrote:Lights!

Camera!

Action!

Here's an overview of what I've done to my Series 1 over the past week. I installed a CCFL lighting system in the printer to aid with seeing the prints in ambient light and get better capture with the Camera, as well as
led lights for forward light for the Camera (and just for LaserGnomes, lots and lots of clips). I also installed a camera with a printed bracket (had to brace it with some aluminium) and will be Live streaming/recording most of the time it's printing. Finally, I installed a RepRapDiscount Smart Controller with a printed hinged case so that prints no longer depend on a computer.

All in all, very excited to have the printer and will be making more substantial mods to it in the near future! I'm in the process of banging out some real prints rather than just parts, so I'll post those soon.

Ya very exciting lights indeed.. I would love to get similar lights very soon

Return to “Mods”