Smoothieware/Azteeg X5 Mini upgrade

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

kazolar

Smoothieware/Azteeg X5 Mini upgrade

Postby kazolar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:49 am

I started getting things ready to replace rumba with a smoothie board -- the Azteeg X5 Mini specifically.
It has only 4 stepper drivers built in, so I will be using one of the tmc2100 included with my Series 1 Pro for the extruder and I will run the xyz steppers on the Azteeg board. So far the only tricky thing is getting 12v for the fans inside the enclosure -- I just stripped apart a small 12V adapter I had laying around and it will power the included internal fan and the extra cooling fan I added. Of course I fixed the TMC2100 to run in spreadcyle mode as stock the were in stealthchop -- as anyone who has configured 3d printers will tell you that is not an appropriate setting for 3D printers -- no clue what TAMs reason to not setup the TMC2100 correctly was. What I am curious about is if anyone has figured out or maybe someone at TAM will be so kind to let us know the heated bed thermistor beta rating. I know it's a 100k thermistor of some sort, but can't find the specific beta value or model number anywhere. I'll be wiring things up later today -- I can get the extruder and part cooling fans to run at 12v by setting max pwm to 128, the rest is pretty straight forward.

It's a known limitation that Arduino based boards when printing via USB experience problems at higher speeds, it's a bigger issue in coreXY and deltas obviously, but since the S1 uses dual Y steppers it also has a slightly more complex kinematic than a standard Cartesian. So, I think I can get really quality high speed results with properly configured drivers and 32bit controller. I already got really great speed improvements by upgrading to the latest Marlin by utilizing different accelerations for moving vs printing, but there is a clear issue that the Arduino can't keep up with more complex geometry. I think it's time to say goodbye to Arduino based controller boards on higher end machines.

kazolar

Re: Smoothieware/Azteeg X5 Mini upgrade

Postby kazolar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 pm

So I did an initial test print and I can conclusively say that the Azteeg board is drastically better than the Rumba. I did a print at 90 mm/sec with 2000mm/sec^2. And the results are cleaner than printing at 60mm/sec with 900 mm/sec^2. Clearly there is something to the Arduino based boards not being able to keep up with USB communication at higher speeds. The machine is definitely able to print faster, but the 16 bit controller can't do so reliably -- not to mention that the stepper drivers on the Rumba are configured incorrectly.

mrSEADEMON

Postby mrSEADEMON » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 am

Do you try Azteeg X3 PRO 3D? beter then Rumba?

NoNaym

Postby NoNaym » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Very interesting! However, looking at images of the X5 Mini it looks like there is only room for the four (4) drivers you mentioned; So I am curious how exactly you intend on adding a fifth (5th) driver (your salvaged TMC2100), for the extruder, to the board? I guess this concept is beyond my knowledge!

Thanks for sharing!!

kazolar

Postby kazolar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Adding a 5th stepper was easy. I got a stepper driver expansion board from Amazon for ~$6 for a pair (I plan to do a similar upgrade to my other Marlin based printer) -- and then all I did is run ground, step, and enable, dir, +5V and 24v to the expansion module and plug in one of the stepsticks (with the fixed pin connections). TAM provided me the model numbers for the thermistors, I used that to properly configure the bed and hotend. Now the printer is basically at it's max potential since it's no longer limited by Arduino/serial processing.
I'm working on a new part cooling fan mount/dissipation design as the stock one only blows air one direction -- I hope to do more testing when I get the tungsten carbide upgrade from TAM. I also will do some tests this weekend by setting the steppers drivers to 1/32 microstepping because now they have plenty of torque and don't skip steps as they used to with old misconfigured rumba.

To answer the other question -- all Marlin based boards are essentially the same, Rumba is one of he best ones in terms of power delivery. Azteeg X3 not better or worse, the X5 Mini is a 32 bit controller Arm based -- hence it's a significant upgrade in processing ability. Just from printing quality -- printing round shapes -- there is a significant bump in quality in comparing a cylinder printed using 32 bit controller and a 16 bit one. (You have to slow the print down to 45mm/sec to achieve same result as 90-100mm/sec gets on a 32 bit controller)

kazolar

Postby kazolar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Here is a sample print close up done at 90mm/sec print speed and 200 mm/sec travel speeds. I think travels can be even faster -- no more skipping steps :) The overhangs are perfect. This worked perfectly at .2mm layer height.
IMG_20170129_102830575.jpg
IMG_20170129_102830575.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1070 times

Return to “Mods”