BuildTak on the Series 1 Pro

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

4Crawler

BuildTak on the Series 1 Pro

Postby 4Crawler » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 pm

I've been using a 300mm square sheet of BuildTak on my Series 1 Pro for the last 4 months with good results:

https://youtu.be/RFIK9eILWOY?list=PLpY2 ... YHcbzAiKvj

The sheet fits perfectly on top of the glass and for ABS and PLA, no need to mess with surface prep. For Nylon I do apply some washable glue stick and then can print on an unheated bed.
Series1-Pro

4Crawler

Re: BuildTak on the Series 1 Pro

Postby 4Crawler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 pm

BuildTak is still working well. I messed up my first sheet by accidentally overheating the bed. The 2nd sheet lasted a until just last week. It finally started to let loose and tear in a few spots.

I took the plunge and picked up the new BuildTak Flex kit and just had a chance to get it installed today. I'll be making a couple of YouTube videos of the process, but so far so good. I think this is a real home run for the Series1 Pro printer. Solves the issue of the expensive to replace heated glass build plate.

You stick the incredibly strong magnetic base plate to the clean glass. Then you have a thin sheet of spring steel with the BuildTak surface applied and that just sticks to the magnetic base. I think beyond BuildTak, this opens up having multiple build surfaces for little cost. You can pick up extra spring steel plates for $35 and then apply say Garolite for printing Nylon, or Kapton tape or whatever. Then just pull one plate and replace with another.

One benefit I've already noticed is that since the flex plate is square, you can put it back in 4 orientations. This helps to even out the BuildTak wear by placing prints all over the build plate. Before I tried to do this in Cura, moving parts around before uploading. But I found certain areas did not get used as much since they are hard to see in the web cam, which I use a lot since my printer is up in the attic and not easily accessible. So now I can print up where the webcam view is best and then just rotate the flex plate 1/4 turn after each print!
Series1-Pro

4Crawler

Postby 4Crawler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:37 am

Uploading some videos to YouTube on the FlexPlate system:
https://youtu.be/Qjuf3h6-QJI?list=PLpY2 ... YHcbzAiKvj

Takes a bit of dialing in to get the nozzle height right as extra thickness of material must expand a bit more than the glass build plate does.
Series1-Pro

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:57 pm

@4Crawler

Thanks a ton for putting in the effort to make these!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “Mods”