Heated bed

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Fast one

Heated bed

Postby Fast one » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 am

I made a heated bed using borosilicate glass (#8476k23 = $46.48) and silicone heater (#35765k363 = $82.12) from McMaster-Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com. The heater power or temperature is controlled by a pulse width modulator IC and ten turn potentiometer, the extruder fan command turns the circuit on and off and a three position toggle switch allows preheating of the glass. There is no interactive machine programing. 120 volt ac power to the heater is controlled by a small, low cost 8 amp solid state relay with heat sink and fan that are mounted to the left front of the factory aluminum platen frame that was lightened with 1' holes. A digital thermometer was added to the right front of the platen. The completed parts are now excellent, no more warped bottoms and the parts don't delaminate during printing. PLA is run about 55 degrees C and ABS about 65 degrees C. Elmer's extra strength glue sticks are again used to coat the glass before printing; when the glass cools off, the part can be removed with little effort using the Series 1 supplied spatula.

Elijah
Site Admin

Re: Heated bed

Postby Elijah » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 am

Also awesome, and also something I would love to put up on social if you are cool with that!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Fast one

Re: Heated bed

Postby Fast one » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 pm

It's ok with me.

Return to “Mods”