Adafruit's Series 1 Mod

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Elijah
Site Admin

Adafruit's Series 1 Mod

Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Adafruit (who love their Series 1) have a blower motor attached to the toolhead as a mod. Check it out!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:987360
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

abray

Re: Adafruit's Series 1 Mod

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Elijah,

I have been wondering if anyone at TAM had spotted the Adafruit blower mod and what they thought about it.

Having the blower mounted on the side looks like it would result in better direct air flow through the extruder cooling ventilation holes near heater block/filament guide.......maybe lessen/eliminating retraction issues mentioned by a couple of people?

Also looks like it would better focus the air flow directed at the printed part to the nozzle path.

With the side mounted blower, is there any loss of build volume?

Still awaiting shipment of my Series 1 Pro ordered back on Sept 21 (8 week lead times pass slowly when the arrival of a new printer is in play) so I have no point of reference to measure.

- Al

realloser

Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:46 pm

Interesting approach.. I'm also looking into a similar solution and have already 5 fans ready on my desk.
What I don't get here is that it seems most of the air blown through the Radial Fan seems to go downwards and not directly to the head.

jarhead

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:36 am

realloser wrote:Interesting approach.. I'm also looking into a similar solution and have already 5 fans ready on my desk.
What I don't get here is that it seems most of the air blown through the Radial Fan seems to go downwards and not directly to the head.

The grey printed piece is a funnel pointed right at the extrusion point.
Seems like a lot of overkill to me though.

Return to “Mods”