Hybrid mod combining old and new spool holders

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

rwcorbett74

Hybrid mod combining old and new spool holders

Postby rwcorbett74 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 am

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I thought I would share my solution.

I've been using the need spool holder system with the spool sitting sideways/horizontal on the top of the machine that you print the parts from the pattern on thingiverse.com. On full spools of filament, the filament will sometimes unwind from the spool as the print head moves toward the back of the platform and then get wrapped under the spool as the print head moves toward the front of the platform. I left a print running last night only to come in this morning to find that the filament had wound itself so tightly under the spool that the filament had broken and the print wasn't complete.

I had a similar problem with the original spool holder which holds the spool in the vertical position so I "hybridized" the two systems to see if that would fix the issue and so far it seems to be working.

Here's what I did:

1. I took off the small filament holder that holds the filament after it comes off of the spool from the new system and reinstalled the original vertical spool holder that came with my machine.

2. Where the screw attaches the original spool arm to the machine (at the 90 degree bend), I attached the filament holder from the new system and them placed the horizontal spool holder at the other end of the bracket (longer M5 screws where required).

3. I placed the filament roll on the original spool holder with the filament coming off the front of the spool, ran it through the small filament holder fr the new system, back over the arm holding the spool, and through the filament holder on the old bracket before going to the extruder. This forms a loop of filament off of the spool that can increase and decrease in size as the print head moves to the front and back of the build plate. I also have the filament guide installed on the extruder in this set up.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share at the moment, but I might try to add some later.

I most of my printing in PLA or PET+ which are stiffer filaments so I don't know how this will affect my printing with NinjaFlex, but I still have the filament spool holders that hold the spool horizontally so I can experiment when the time comes. I just don't want to come in and find anymore incomplete prints that should have been done overnight.

Return to “Mods”