Active cooling shroud/fan duct

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Memnarch1113

Active cooling shroud/fan duct

Postby Memnarch1113 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:15 am

Heya folks. I was wondering if anyone has designed a better mount and duct for the active cooling fan. I feel that it's placement on the side of the extruder is a little less than ideal. I've been looking but I've only found ducts for the old kinds of extruders.

Is there any kind of active cooling upgrade for the G2 nozzle?

Sean

Re: Active cooling shroud/fan duct

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:12 am

I have been tweaking this design for a few months now... I have it working pretty good. The extruder temp remains stable and it cools the material quicker. My bridging is slightly better but nothing astonishing. I have reduced some edge curling on parts with overhangs that came out poorly before. I upgraded the extruder/rear fan to a Noctua which is much quieter. So the white part that is peeling off a little air flow from the rear fan and sending it to the part is designed to mount to the Noctua and not the standard fan. I am about to upgrade the other fan to the same one (NF-A4x10). The little back lever can shut the cooling air flow off and on. I will post the files once I clean them up a little and get it dialed in with some instructions. For now, I have modeled up the NF-A4x10 fan shroud and posted it to GrabCAD if you want to design something off of it: https://grabcad.com/library/noctua-nf-a ... n-shroud-1.
Attachments
Bottom-Iso.jpg
Underside view of cooling nozzles.
Bottom-Iso.jpg (263.34 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Side-View.jpg
Side view of front and rear cooling nozzles.
Side-View.jpg (398.9 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

Memnarch1113

Postby Memnarch1113 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:39 am

That looks beautiful! Please let me know when it's done, I really want to print it!

Grzyby15

Postby Grzyby15 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 am

Interesting stuff. Looks really great!

rwcorbett74

Postby rwcorbett74 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Would love to print this for my Series one. I upgraded both fans to Noctura fans and they do run much quieter and my temps are more steady than before. Now if I could only direct the air from the for more active cooling.

Love the pattern, but can't find it anywhere.

Guischall

Postby Guischall » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:32 am

Wow!
That's a great design.

I'm having many issues with curling edges.
The shroud that came with my Series 1 is only blowing on the front side, every bridge/overhang on the back curls up.

Can you share your files, so I can work on them/print it?

BillDempsey

Postby BillDempsey » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 am

Are the Noctua fans a drop in replacement for the existing fans? I've always used Noctua in my PC builds, so I am a big fan. (pun intended) The stock fans on the TAM S1 Pro are the loudest part of the machine. I had to reduce them to 60% just to tolerate the noise.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

Sean

Postby Sean » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:44 am

Not sure about the pro. But they are on the regular 2014 series one. I thought they might have been spinning slow because they were so quiet. But they were indeed spinning at full speed.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 pm

BillDempsey wrote:Are the Noctua fans a drop in replacement for the existing fans? I've always used Noctua in my PC builds, so I am a big fan. (pun intended) The stock fans on the TAM S1 Pro are the loudest part of the machine. I had to reduce them to 60% just to tolerate the noise.

I'm glad to know that the loudest part of our machine is the cooling fans! :D
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

kazolar

Postby kazolar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Watch for clogs and extrusion failures. The noctua fans push noticeably less air. I had tried this mod on my other printer and the results were not good. I went back to noiser fans, though scythe fans I ran in my other printer I pretty quiet, and work very well. I would rather have a noisy machine which is bulletproof, than a quiet machine which clogs time to time -- the issues I've had with the S1 Pro has been with cooling the stepper drivers, which I solved by adding an extra fan, it is noisier, but bulletproof. Other issues is belt skipping occasionally, which is solved by re-tensioning it.

Return to “Mods”