Simple Build Platform Mod

Share any mods you have made and the awesome results.

Moderator: Elijah

Sean

Simple Build Platform Mod

Postby Sean » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am

I noticed that the build platform can move around a little on the spring loaded posts, even after adding some tension on the springs. When using certain lesser quality filaments, the diameter changes a lot in the same spool, leading to sections of over extrusion. This creates ridges which the head drags over and can shift the platform a little. I also shot myself in the foot during a long print. After removing the model from the previous print, I never pushed the platform against the bolts to seat it fully. Then while printing the next object I noticed this, and like a person with Torrets, I couldn't resist pushing it back into place... While it was printing (really smart).

I made an easy modification to my build platform by adding some shallow counterbores to accept and capture the M4 bolt heads (see attached). This keeps the platform securely in place. I measured the platform as best that I could but I am sure there is some variability in the manufacture of them (and my measurements). I have attached a rough drawing of the measurements I used to make this mod. I am hoping that someone would be kind enough to measure their build platform/hole spacing on a 2014 to see if it is the same. Or better yet, if someone from Type A could tell us what the "as designed" hole pattern should be. There is a thick clear coating over the aluminum, making it tough to measure accurately. I would NOT use my measurements WITHOUT first confirming that your spacing pattern and sizing is the same. Mine fit very tight back on the machine and if it was off just a little I don't think it would have worked. Maybe add some more clearance around your bolt heads. Also, make SURE you back your z-axis sensor way down and reset it's height before you go homing the platform and drive your head into the glass. I hope this helps someone...
Attachments
Build-Platform-Dims.jpg
Drawing of build platform as measured
Build-Platform-Dims.jpg (91.57 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Machine_Work.jpg
Build platform mounted on mill
Machine_Work.jpg (233.29 KiB) Viewed 4814 times
Mounted.jpg
Build platform back on machine
Mounted.jpg (266.93 KiB) Viewed 4814 times

Sean

Re: Simple Build Platform Mod

Postby Sean » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 am

Can anyone else confirm their bed dimensions? I am going to build a heated bed and would like to have more data regarding the "as designed" dimensions of the build platform/tray so I can use it between multiple machines. I need to machine the entire aluminum tray and would like to minimize the risk of doing it twice. If anyone else has measured theirs I would greatly appreciate knowing what you came up with. I have a request in to Type A support but they seem a little hesitant to share.

MagnetHead

Re: Simple Build Platform Mod

Postby MagnetHead » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:43 pm

I am redesigning the build plate system and needed a schematic for the aluminum plate. They gave me a PDF called "Page 44". It has dimensions for the plate and holes, also with coordinate locations for the holes.

here's the schematic in mm:
Build plate blueprints.png
Build plate blueprints.png (159.32 KiB) Viewed 1657 times

Return to “Mods”