BuildTak is awesome

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

robotmechanic

Re: BuildTak is awesome

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

When you talk about nozzle height and squishing the first layer, are you talking about how the Z home is set, or are you talking about first layer settings in Cura (or similar software)?

jd_3d

Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 am

Z-home screw adjustment

robotmechanic

Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Okay, cool. I'll give it a try. I've seen a lot of conflicting information from Type A Machines about this. The paperwork says to have the nozzle touching the build platform, but not putting load on it. A video from Type A Machines said to use a business card as a feeler gauge. Other folks have said to use a piece of paper.

I've set mine up so that a piece of paper can be slid in between the nozzle and the platform, but only with some wiggling. So it's like an interference fit with paper.

I'll try to go a little bit tighter.

Interestingly, as I was looking at it, I thought maybe it was too close, and the nozzle was actually reheating and pressing against previously applied PLA, causing it to lift. But it sounds like that's highly unlikely.

Thanks for the help.

Matthew

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:55 pm

Here's our new macro for Poor Adhesion :

Normally the fix to poor adhesion is to double-check your Z height, verify that your build plate is leveled properly and use more glue-stick.

Experience Required : Beginner
Materials Required : 1 Post-It note, Type A Machines toolkit

To adjust the Z height, turn off the motors, and bring the tool head to the center of the build plate. Press the Z home button. Adjust the Z homing knob on the right rear of the Series 1. You want approximately 0.20mm between the glass and the nozzle. That's the thickness of one Post-It note. You should feel resistance if you slide a Post-It note between the glass and the nozzle.

Next, adjust the build plate leveling (actually, tramming). With the motors turned off, manually move the tool head to the front. left of the build plate. Adjust the build plate height on the front left corner, making sure to mostly compress the springs when the build plate is mounted. You will need to loosen the black thumb-nuts under the Z frame to adjust the leveling bolts. Check Z height on the front left corner with your Post-It note.

Next, move the tool head to the front right corner, and adjust the Z height with your Post-It note. Then move the tool head to the rear left, and adjust the Z height with your Post-It note. Now you have a triangle that is level with the tool head (or trammed).

Finally, manually move the tool head to the right rear corner, and adjust your Z height with your Post-It note. Double-check that the black thumb-nuts under the build plate's mounting frame are tightened against the frame.

You should add a generous amount of glue-stick to the build platform before each print. Pretty much anywhere you see bare glass should be covered with glue-stick.

For PLA, our default Cura Quickprint settings are 220C. If you deviate from the Quickprint settings into Expert mode, your on your own. The settings do not cross over, and we cannot support Expert mode (by default. Sometimes we do!).

There is a checkbox for Brim in Cura which generates a one-layer, 5mm "brim" around the perimeter of your object while printing. This may help with the corners peeling up. You can also model "Mouse Ears" into your model. These are small 1mm tall, maybe 20mm around cylinders on the corners of your object. Both the brim and mouse ears are removed easily post print.

Filament from various vendors can have wildly different results. We have heard reports of MakerBot and StudioLine filaments causing nozzle clogs. Type A Machines always tests the filament we sell, so ours will work with the default Cura settings consistently.

Does anyone have any suggestions for clarity?

-matthew-
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”