BuildTak is awesome

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

kwardle

BuildTak is awesome

Postby kwardle » Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi All,
First, I do not work for the BuildTak guys and am not intentionally advertising for them. They sent me a sample to try with my new Series 1 which I have had now a couple weeks. After printing for a week or so using the glue-on-glass technique with mostly OK results but some issues, I decide to slap this on and give it a try. I will never go back to bare glass. I have not had a single print fail to adhere. If the first layer is too tight it may stick a little too well and take some work to remove the part, but even then it comes off without damaging the part or the surface. I just wanted to share this since without question it has made printing easier. I was even able to start a few prints remotely the other day when I was on travel and wanted to keep the printer working. No problems. I would even go so far as to suggest that Type A ought to consider shipping their printers with this surface instead of just including an Elmer's glue stick. Absolutely hassle-free print surface.
-Kent

kwardle

Re: BuildTak is awesome

Postby kwardle » Fri May 02, 2014 1:26 pm

I forgot to also mention that I am printing with the PET+ filament (opaque white and transparent) and both have worked great on the surface.

JohnR

Postby JohnR » Fri May 02, 2014 2:32 pm

How big are the parts you are printing? I haven't run into any trouble with the glue stick until printing something greater than about 5" across (125mm), and then it was only because I didn't have a uniform layer of glue. I'm just wondering because I was thinking of printing something which takes up most of the bed, but am a bit hesitant to do so. It'd be great if this works with large parts.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Indeed BuildTak is awesome... Very very awesome...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 pm

We have good luck with it honestly. Reduced tape/glue waste etc.
In some cases it has failed. We print large.... so it's probably more a bed level thing than a buildtak is failing thing. CuraBrim seems to help with that as of lately. I'd give it 8 stars and climbing from an initial score of 6 stars.

-2 cents

razzle

Postby razzle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:34 pm

I am totally sold on Buildtak. Bought one for the Series 1 at work and it is fantastic. So i bought one for my printrbot simple at home. I HIGHLY recommend buildtak. Just be aware that you have to be gentle easing up parts with a large contact area. We use a plastic spatula and just work our way around the part until it pops off.

Our room models have a 200mm x 200mm contact area.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 pm

The reason why I don't use Buildtak all the time is just because it's expensive. On all my machines I use regular glue on glass.

I am working on a 300x300x260mm part, and I encountered zero layer adhesion issues on my second attempt. My first attempt ran into trouble because I was printing it in an incorrect orientation, and I had right angles on my first layer as well as insufficient surface area for such a large print. But when I flipped the part over I had just as large of a footprint but far more surface area and no right angles, and I therefore had no trouble at all with the first layer.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

robotmechanic

Postby robotmechanic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:44 am

Hey all,

Just got my machine a week ago. This is my first post.

Based on this thread and others, I ordered BuildTak but the print didn't stick.

I've tried every thing that me and the internet can think of: glue (stick), tape, glue + tape, space heater under the bed, other kinds of glue (PVA + water), cleaning with alcohol, fans on, fans off, temp higher, temp lower, leveling and releveling and releveling the bed, brim, no brim... and now BuildTak.

When the PLA hits the build platform, it's like oil and water.

Using the Type A supplied orange filament, I was only able to get the type A supplied test part / first print / Cone to print if I turned off the fan, and set the hotend temp to 245.

Using some black PLA that I bought from Amazon (filament outlet), I was never able to get past the first layer before it was jumping off the build plate. It would get about 4-6 passes into the brim, and it would start to lift, especially at the part of the model that was closest to the front of the build plate (the model is centered, so the difference between the front and back of the model is 3 inches or so. Tried this once with BuildTak as soon as I got it, and the plastic jumped off the BuildTak even fast and more pronounced.
PLA-Fail-Composite1.jpg
PLA-Fail-Composite1.jpg (1003.12 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

After at least a dozen (maybe two dozen) attempts, I swapped out the black for red filament from the same vendor. I also eliminated the brim. The first couple of layers printed better, but once the part was 1-2mm thick, it curled up at corners. Instead of aborting the print, I just let it go for a while. By the time the printer quit, on the half of the part (meaning closest to the front of the printer), 70-80% of the part was hovering off the build plate.
016ed6df1141cf805470bed521c210b5eb54cfeb97 [1024x768].jpg
016ed6df1141cf805470bed521c210b5eb54cfeb97 [1024x768].jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

(sorry this starts to get a little off topic, maybe...) And even though the printer seems to have "finished" without any errors, the model didn't end up with a top... as if it quit 99% of the way though the print. And I double checked the layers in Cura prior to printing - the top layers of the part was there. There's plenty of filament on the spool. I don't know how to check to see what the last state of the machine was before it quit. It stopped between 4am and 8am, and I had fallen asleep on the couch waiting for it to finish or die trying, so I wasn't there for its dubious ending.
01f93671d3073831c3eea20d76fbd6572c2651c2d6 [1024x768].jpg
01f93671d3073831c3eea20d76fbd6572c2651c2d6 [1024x768].jpg (161.54 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

What in the world am I doing wrong / missing here? I have nonstick pans that are more sticky (and I am not exaggerating for comedic effect - when the PLA hits the build plate, it acts like a non-stick surface. It's the best analogy I can think of).

This is a 2014 Series 1; using Cura - 1.2; PLA from filamentoutlet via Amazon; BuildTak (and many other) build plate prep.

JohnR

Postby JohnR » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:50 pm

I think you might need to get the nozzle closer to the bed. I know if my nozzle isn't close enough to the bed, I get terrible adhesion, regardless of the substrate. I have my nozzle touching the bed, and dang near touching when the height is set to 0.2mm. You could give that a try.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah, like JohnR said, it sounds like the one thing you haven't tried is really squishing the first layer. When I want max adhesion I set the nozzle so close that on the first 0.2mm layer plastic is barely coming out because there's no room for it to go :)

I don't use Buildtak (found a professional 3M tape that works way better), and I can tune the amount of adhesion I want with 3 variables:

1) Amount of 'squish', i.e., nozzle height
2) First layer temp (don't be afraid to go high for first layer. I do 245C on PLA and that really helps)
3) First layer speed (use 50%).

If you do the above 3 (use 250C first layer temp, squish it a lot, and slow the first layer) it will literally bond to the buildtak (good luck taking it off). Also use a brim but with only 2 layers on the brim (otherwise it will want to curl itself).

Let me know how it turns out...

Return to “Tips and Tricks”