Just Can't Wait! Guide to out-of-the-box 3D printing

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Stefalopod

Just Can't Wait! Guide to out-of-the-box 3D printing

Postby Stefalopod » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm

For those of you who just can't wait, and want to get started learning how to use your soon-to-arrive Series 1, you've come to the right place.

*This post is meant to help anyone get started by installing the free software you need to use your Series 1. So head over to the "Downloads" page at http://typeamachines.com/downloads and pick up the following:

1) Drivers
Windows Users: If you're running any version of Windows, and have never run an Arduino chip off your computer, grab the "Arduino Driver for Windows" download. Remember to unzip the file, and run the "serial_install" application. Having trouble? Right click on the file name and click "run as administrator." If you're running Windows 8 Pro, make sure to check out the Windows 8 Arduino Install tips post http://forum.typeamachines.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33&p=86#p86
Mac and Linux Users: Pat yourself on the back. You're all ready to go without any special driver downloads.

2) Slicer
If you've already got a 3d mesh that you want to see printed in PLA, then you're going to need a slicer to get a file that your Series 1 can understand. Slicers "cut" your 3d mesh into multiple horizontal layers, so your Series 1 can build your design back up one layer at a time from bottom to top. The slicer is also the software that tells the printer whether your print should be solid core, hollow, or honeycombed in the middle. Get a free slicer by following the links on our downloads page under "Slicing Engines".
After you've installed your slicing engine, make sure you go back to the downloads page to grab your configuration file -- the configuration file helps to optimize your print for the Series 1, and pre-loads settings print in a range of resolutions from draft to high-res. Run the configuration file as per its instructions on the downloads page.
Don't have a 3d Mesh yet? E-mail info@typeamachines.com and we'll send you our favorite in-house file of the day to play with.
Alternatively, you can play with 123DCatch by Autodesk (http://www.123dapp.com/catch), or look around online for libraries of 3d objects like 3D Warehouse for SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/).
Want to make your own mesh? SketchUp is free and easy to learn (http://www.sketchup.com/).

3)Control Software
Folks, this is where the magic happens. Head to [url]typeamachines.com/downloads[/url] and look under "Control Software" for software that will work for your OS.
The control software is what you use to actually control your Series 1. Getting to know the control software in advance will help you to seamlessly get printing as soon as your machine arrives.
Current shipments of Series 1s run at a baud rate of 230400. You'll need this number to get your Series 1 to print properly, so check out the attachment to see what a screen shot of what Pronterface (for Windows) looks like on my machine: Note that my series 1 is running on Com 4, and my baud rate is set to @230400

Now that you've got all this software installed, you're ready to play around with slices of your 3d designs, and you'll be able to see how your print will start in your control software. So line up your duckies, and you'll be printing on your series 1 straight out of the box.

-- Wondering about the firmware link on our downloads page? Worry not, your Series 1 comes with Firmware pre-installed.
Attachments
PronterfaceSCNST.png
screenshot of pronterface for Series 1
PronterfaceSCNST.png (83.28 KiB) Viewed 7334 times

turnrock

Re: Just Can't Wait! Guide to out-of-the-box 3D printing

Postby turnrock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 pm

On my MacBookPro in Pronterface i use port: dev/:tty.usbmodem1a21 @115200
Everything else ive tried wont connect or causes the motors to make strange high pitch sounds. :shock:

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

To the OP, would you be able to expand upon the explanation of the baud rate? For instance, I have one of the earlier Series 1 machines and connect at 250000 with Pronterface (through trial and error I found this speed connected). It seems to be working fine for me. Is this the correct speed, or would there be an advantage to changing this? Thanks.

Stefalopod

Postby Stefalopod » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:04 am

Baud Rate:

I can explain my (not so techie) understanding of baudrate for weekend purposes, and then we can probably get a more technical explanation during the week.

My understanding is that the baudrate is the frequency at which the computer communicates to the printer. On the printer side, my understanding is that the baudrate is set in the firmware. So the object when setting the baudrate in your control software (pronterface) is to set it to match the firmware.

For the latest firmware, the baudrate (printer side) is preset to 230400. This is because other baudrates would work natively for machines running windows, but they didn't work for macs or Linux machines. In theory having the control software set to a different baudrate than what the printer is set to communicate over should forestall the ability to print at all -- however I think I saw a print last week that was successful, but slightly out of scale (larger than it should have been).

I think we'll be hearing more on this from the guys who understand it better next week.

Hope this helps!

pwiseman

Enabling 230400 in pronterface on linux

Postby pwiseman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:46 am

On my linux systems, pronterface did not come with 230400 as an option in the baud rate list. To fix, I had to edit gui.py (in the printrun subdirectory).

Edit line 233 to add '230400':

choices = ["2400", "9600", "19200", "38400", "57600", "115200", "230400", "250000"],

and 230400 will now be an option.

Happy printing!
Patrick

Stefalopod

Postby Stefalopod » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:41 am

Awesome Linux fix! In Windows 8, I just manually typed in 230400 once and it's stayed as the default baudrate since then.

AndrewRutter

Postby AndrewRutter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Stefalopod wrote:Baud Rate:
snip
My understanding is that the baudrate is the frequency at which the computer communicates to the printer. On the printer side, my understanding is that the baudrate is set in the firmware. So the object when setting the baudrate in your control software (pronterface) is to set it to match the firmware.

For the latest firmware, the baudrate (printer side) is preset to 230400. This is because other baudrates would work natively for machines running windows, but they didn't work for macs or Linux machines. In theory having the control software set to a different baudrate than what the printer is set to communicate over should forestall the ability to print at all -- however I think I saw a print last week that was successful, but slightly out of scale (larger than it should have been).

I think we'll be hearing more on this from the guys who understand it better next week.

Hope this helps!

Close enough for rock and roll.

Although its not all Linux and Mac's that can't talk at 250000, wierdly.

The messed up print was down to a rev B machine being loaded with rev A firmware though!

If you are using Pronterface and select the wrong baud rate it will show gibberish in the log window. Repitier will say it has connected, but list some number of commands waiting.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 am

Can anyone help me out with connecting @ 230400 in mac pronterface?
i attatched a picture that shows how it wont connect unless im using 115200, It will just hang there trying to connect. Should i be looking into my system or pronterface to fix this?Image

AndrewRutter

Postby AndrewRutter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 am

You can print just fine using that baud rate.

Its also possible to update your firmware so that you can use any baud rate you want.

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm

I changed the baud rate in the firmware and its connecting fine @ 230400. thanks Andrew.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”