Implement a wipe system to reduce clogs

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

jd_3d

Implement a wipe system to reduce clogs

Postby jd_3d » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I print a lot and consequently encounter a log of clogs. There are 2 types of clogs that I usually get:

1) Sudden clog that almost completely stops extrusion (likely due to foreign object in nozzle).
2) Gradual clogging due to buildup in nozzle

About 3 weeks ago I implemented a wipe system on all my printers, and after over 1,000 prints I can say there is a definite improvement. I'm seeing about 10x less 'sudden clogs' (have only had 1), and about a 3x reduction in gradual clogging.

What I use is a wooden clothespin and a sunglass micro-fiber cloth since it is lint-free and won't break apart and send more debris into the hot end. I simply clamp it ahead of the spool holder. There is a surprising amount of dust on the filament.

It's such an improvement in nozzle reliability I think TAM should consider making a built-in wipe system on future Series 1's. It will help them in the long end with happier customers and less support issues.
Attachments
micro fiber.JPG
micro fiber.JPG (446.93 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
wipe.JPG
wipe.JPG (471.86 KiB) Viewed 5856 times

Liquid

Re: Implement a wipe system to reduce clogs

Postby Liquid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Good post, lets get a sticky here someone...

Use this as the thread to create and implement a wipe system, even if its only by the members/owners.

I know for a fact this works pretty great. Will post more about my experiences also once I get some time.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:15 am

Topic is now sticky. That's actually totally awesome. Our ears are fully perked.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:39 am

Ive been posting on the forums, but only in the spare time I have, not much in the way of actually making anything in cad. Anyone feeling like making something in cad for a filament wipe?

AndrewRutter

Postby AndrewRutter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 am

Historically people have also had good results using sponge (the real stuff, like you use for washing dishes).

I'll add it to the list of requirements for the next rev of the spool holder.

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Not sure where my post went, but I posted here right after you put this up the other day. Basically, I was headed to the forum to post this same idea when I saw your post because I bought a roll of PLA locally the other day and noticed that it was really dusty, so I did the same sort of thing using a paper towel to get me through a print that was going to run overnight. The lens cloth is a really good idea too, but I didn't think about that at the time. I have already started thinking about putting something together for a filament wiper, but haven't actually done anything but think about what I want to do. I'll probably post something up here tomorrow.

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 am

After running a "wipe system" for the last 4 days with my printer running nonstop, and after giving my hotend a thorough cleaning, I can say that this is definitely a good idea. My prints are so much cleaner than they were even when it was straight out of the box. I think that this would be a really good selling point for TAM if they were to implement something into their printers as an OEM design. I haven't done much research on it, but I don't think anyone else is offering anything along these lines with their printers.

I know these are crappy pictures, but they were taken when I was 8 - 10 layers into a 50 micron print of an iPhone 4 case I designed, and the top layers feel like they have been polished smooth. You can even see reflections in it which really surprised me. Maybe some of you other guys are seeing the same thing with your Series 1, but I never expected to get such a clean surface on the top layers of my prints.
Last edited by Cohbra11 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Xavier

Postby Charles Xavier » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:47 am

Cohbra11 wrote: a 5 micron print

:shock:

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 am

Cohbra11 wrote: 8 - 10 layers into a 5 micron print of an iPhone 4 case

Surely you meant 50 microns (0.05mm) not 5 microns (0.005mm) right? I don't think anyone is printing functional models at 5 microns. I think I read about the Tantillus printer doing 10 micron prints but that was on tiny little models the size of a dime.

Anyway, great to hear more positive feedback on the wipe system. I agree it is such a jump in reliability I'm not sure why no companies have implemented it into their printer. Can you imagine an auto maker coming out with a car without an engine air filter?

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

Yes, sorry. It is 50 micron, not 5. I was a little tired at 3:30am when I typed that. I've edited the post.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”