Implement a wipe system to reduce clogs

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

jd_3d

Re: Implement a wipe system to reduce clogs

Postby jd_3d » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:09 pm

Well, 50 microns is nothing to sneeze at either :) Please post up pics of the final print when its done, would love to see the final product.

Cohbra11

Postby Cohbra11 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Here ya go. These were taken straight off the printer without any cleanup yet. The top piece is printing now so I'll post up a few more when it is done. The fit on my phone couldn't possibly be any better. It's a perfect slip fit and there isn't any slop or play at all.

PrintMan

Postby PrintMan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Sweet thread. I am going to implement this.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:48 pm

After a few weeks of printing, making sure to use a wipe system, I can say that I think this might be the single most important thing you can do to make sure your parts print great, and the hotend stays clear.

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Wanted to thank you for this post, one of the most helpful. I now use a painters natural sponge,
they are cheap, I can have one for each spool. Best is that the frequency of jams has gone down
significantly. I've included a picture, and the spool holders where printed on the TAM (I set the
infill low 10%).
Attachments
TAM-Sponge-2013.jpg
TAM-Sponge-2013.jpg (765 KiB) Viewed 3777 times

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:15 pm

You're welcome :) Good to know sponges work just as well as micro-fiber cloths, I might have to try that since it probably imparts less friction than my clothespin setup. I was worried originally that sponges would eventually start breaking apart and introduce debris, but maybe natural sponges are resistant to that? I've probably only ever used/handled cheap foam sponges.

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:39 am

When I first started with the sponge I would use the same sponge, move it from spool to spool when I changed colors. This caused damage to the sponge, and it takes some muscle to get the PLA through the sponge each time. This lead me to keeping the sponge on the spool. I can see build up of material where the PLA enters the sponge. The natural sponges are pretty tough.

Would it also help to store the PLA in a seal container when not in use ? I'm think some type of plastic container, might at least cut down on dust accumulation.

Backinthelab

Postby Backinthelab » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Here's what I'm using, I just "float" it on the filament between the extruder and the filament guide and it seems to work great. Folded up a gun cleaning patch inside and it's catching a ton of debris. I ended up printing a bunch so I can leave them on the spools.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:153807
"Hey, I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed...not insulted." -HJS

eeyore

Postby eeyore » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 am

I saw a thread on "wipe systems" early last year. I came up with a very simple way to clean the PLA that had a direct impact on reducing "time between clogs", TBC, lol

I use a natural sponge that I get from the craft store, they are inexpensive. Then I simple thread the PLA through the sponge. It is very easy to switch between PLA colors, I just leave the PLA attached. I can visually see build up where the PLA enters the sponge.

Joe
Attachments
3D_Sponge.jpg
3D_Sponge.jpg (763.01 KiB) Viewed 3532 times

Beneb

Postby Beneb » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 am

I wanted to add my feedback because this post helped me a lot. The first few weeks, all the prints came out amazing. This machine has been making prototypes for the past month almost around the clock. This last week however I was running into serious quality problems. The print quality was patchy and obviously missing whole layers. On top of this I noticed the extruder wheel was clicking constantly. It was visibly slipping.

Originally I believed the wheel was the source of the problem. It had PLA build up in its teeth but after cleaning the PLA build up on it several times with no improvements. I realized the problem was else where.

2 things fixed my print problems.

The first was pushing PLA through the print head at temperature by hand. This seemed to force out any blockage and debris. The debris was causing the extruder wheel to slip because it wasn't able to force the PLA through blockages.

The second was simply adding a wiping system. Mine is very simple and I'll upgrade to a natural sponge but this is working wonderfully now.

Those 2 steps stopped the extruder wheel from slipping and clicking all the time and the print quality is perfect again.
Attachments
IMG_0185c.jpg
My Wiping System - The PLA is threaded through the sponge and spool holder keeps it in place
IMG_0185c.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3000 times
IMG_0184.JPG
Print Quality After
IMG_0184.JPG (3.76 MiB) Viewed 3000 times
IMG_0183.JPG
Print Quality before adding wiping system.
IMG_0183.JPG (4.06 MiB) Viewed 3000 times

Return to “Tips and Tricks”