[TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Autotune

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

Re: [TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Auto

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:37 am

I'm adding doing a single package with all the software and settings (and maybe firmware) onto my to-do-while-on-vacation list for next week.

I think you have the definition of "vacation" mixed up.

Elijah
Site Admin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Liquid wrote:
I'm adding doing a single package with all the software and settings (and maybe firmware) onto my to-do-while-on-vacation list for next week.

I think you have the definition of "vacation" mixed up.

Nuh uh... It's like when you answer emails from another part of the world, right?
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Blocky

Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 am

Was the endless cycle in PID Autotune ever resolved? I'm using the most recent firmware, altered only to recognize the E3D thermistor and Autotune just keeps going and going.

Matthew

Re: [TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Autotune

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Blocky,

The Marlin firmware, configuration.h has a variable for "close to temperature". During the autotune procedure, it runs a command to "set to temperature and wait" which is is normally 30 seconds. If your swings can't stay within the defined window for the defined time, it starts the timer over again, so you're stuck in the loop.

// Actual temperature must be close to target for this long before M109 returns success
#define TEMP_RESIDENCY_TIME 5 // (seconds)
#define TEMP_HYSTERESIS 3 // (degC) range of +/- temperatures considered "close" to the target one
#define TEMP_WINDOW 1 // (degC) Window around target to start the residency timer x degC early.

You can define the "close to temperature" window much wider so your swings stay within the window initially, then narrow it down as you get closer to stable temps.

As an example, I recently worked on a machine with +/- 4C swings, autotuned it and reflashed the firmware, and then saw =/- 0.2C swings.

-matthew-
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”