[TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Autotune

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Re: [TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Auto

Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 pm

About to hit this up(we have version 3 duct fan).

Any updates to the process?

LG

Liquid

Tue May 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Honestly, I upgraded to a 20mm thick fan and dont need one... :roll:

It really does cover the entire print as its moving around.

Another thing I have noticed, is that its not linear. Meaning the upgraded fan probably boosted air flow 150% from what it was, despite being only twice as thick and double the Cubic Feet Per Minute.

Actually I only autotuned while the fan was at 80 percent, and If I autotune it while the fan is at 100 percent, Im not sure I will even look at another duct. Thats if my hot end can reach temp while its at 100% :?

Best 5.99 Ive spent so far... Frys

Liquid

Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 am

Here is a video of the entire Auto Tuning process.

http://youtu.be/AkzF-O0ZqdY

Liquid

Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 am

Added my custom firmware for those who want to take advantage of both the latest Marlin files as of 5/14/2013, and also auto tuning the hot end.

Its been built side by side while looking through TAMS files, tested and works very well.

http://forum.typeamachines.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=403

jbrisbin

Wed May 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Have you observed any areas where your newly built firmware works notably better than that which is currently available from TAM?

Liquid

Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Ive mainly noted that it doesnt work worse.... :lol:

J/K. I mean its the latest Marlin, so thats good. Its 20mb lighter overall. My homing function is slightly faster, but thats just the speed change in the settings.

The best feature is that auto tune works great. That alone made my prints completely better. (From an OCD perspective... because differences are minute, yet I can see them)

Just to be fair, I was kinda printing really good before I did this so....

I dont think its any different than what TAMS would release to be honest. If they updated to the latest Marlin. I kind of wanted that, so others wouldnt be scared to try it.

No crazy changes, but enough for me to warrant upgrading "my" machine. Cant speak for anyone else.

Worse case scenario, people can just revert to tams, form the downloads area.

LaserGnomes

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Liquid wrote:Ive mainly noted that it doesnt work worse.... :lol:

Hey that's half the battle right there!

oh also finally able to dedicate the day to doing this.
Results to follow.

We have added a high volume/flow fan behind the printer facing forward... so autotune was almost required as it seemed to be struggling to keep up. Have noted others using larger fans/fan housings and it getting "too cool" to extrude. Perhaps the autotune will adjust the settings so it can get to the ranges required to offset the additional cooling.

-2cents

AndrewRutter

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

So one reason why we have been so long in updating firmware is because the newer versions of Marlin brought in a few bugs.
(The 2 significant ones are: E values are supposed to default to absolute, but don't a significant amount of the time (workaround, add M82 to the prefix). Secondly, M104 commands are sometimes miss-read as M109's. (With our prefix it means sometimes the machine waits to heat up against the build surface, workaround is a reset of the machine, and an update to the prefix)).

Liquid

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Ive done some testing with M104/Give control back to machine vs M109 actually, and didnt run into that problem, so maybe its been addressed?

I dont think anyone is faulting tams, esp after Elijah explained the reasoning. Plus it gives some of us something to do in our free time.

One thing I think you guys should really do is to create a couple of sticky threads with the latest happening firmware and software package settings wise. Modifying the ot with any latest and any news. The downloads section is the source, the sticky will be the middle guy to let everyone know whats going on, and help them to make certain decisions.

Elijah
Site Admin

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 am

I'm adding doing a single package with all the software and settings (and maybe firmware) onto my to-do-while-on-vacation list for next week.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “Tips and Tricks”