[TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Autotune

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Autotune

Postby Liquid » Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

So, you have noticed that your printer likes to swing.... Temperatures swinging while printing that is :twisted:

Problem Associated:

Some of you may have noticed big temp changes in your hot end when monitoring your prints and controller software (Pronterface/Repetier Host) while printing.

There are settings in the firmware that are supposed to keep this at bay. Some miniscule temp swings are normal. If you are noticing 7-10 degree drops in the middle of the print, chances are you will do yourself a favor by running the autotune function associated with MARLIN.

I've been autotuned for a few days now, and it worked well.

This requires the latest Marlin. It does not work with stock Revb Firmware, as far as I can tell, it will just endlessly cycle without giving a "Finished!" prompt.

Check my signature links, for the firmware I have created for single extruder Series 1 machines.

Goal of this tip/trick:

To help minimize big temperature swings throughout a print.

Tune your hotend according to your fan, power resistor, heater block.

First let me start of by saying that the firmware has settings placed inside Called PID (Proportional, Integral and Derivative) that control the overall heating of the hot end.

Some of you may also have gcode placed in your slic3r/kisslicer programs Gcode "Prefix" area that sets this every time before a print. (TAMS provided settings)

It looks like this, or similar

M301 P24.72 I0.88 D231.1

If this is in your gcode prefix, you have it in two places, which is fine. The code in your slicers gcode prefix area takes precedence.

The actual Tip/Trick:

So if you have temp swings, or just want to fine tune your hot end, simply follow the below steps.

1. BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS! ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS BEFORE MAKING ANY TYPE OF CHANGE, SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY SWITCH RIGHT BACK IN CASE SOMETHING GOES AWRY.

2. Open Pronterface, and connect your machine.

3. Click on the checkbox that states "Monitor Printer"

4. Load some type of filament to simulate hotend being occupied while printing (this will not be extruded, it just needs to sit there)

5. If you normally run your fan at 100%, Type "M106 S255" (Without quotes) In the lower right hand corner of pronterface. Hit "Send"

If you normally run your fan at 80%, Type "M106 S204" instead, and hit send. The formla for finding your percentage is as follows.

(Percentage Wanted) "Divided By" (100) "Times" 255 = S(Value). If 70% is wanted:

70/100*255=178.5 (Round up to 179) so the code would be "M106 S179" Hit Send

6. Now that your fan is running, and you have filament in the extruder to simulate normal printing, you will type in "M303 C5 S185" and hit "Send"

This will cycle the extruder a bunch of times, looking for those magic PID numbers that will make your printing experience even more rock solid.

When its finished, it will say something similar to "Autotune has Finished!"

Once the autotune function is done, it will spit out new PID numbers. You will see a bunch of pid numbers, wait for it to say its actually finished, those will be the numbers you need.

Once you have the new numbers you simply change the code in your slicer programs "Gcode Prefix" Area

Example:

M301 Pxx.xx Ix.xx Dxxx.x

Additionally, you can also change this value in your Configuration.h firmware files if you already know how to do that (Simple google search should point you in the right direction for that). This will also allow you to forgo any Gcode Prefix for PID altogether.

Links of Interest:

http://www.make-something.com/?p=123

http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=773
Last edited by Liquid on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbrisbin

Re: [TRICK] Is Your Printer into Swinging? Its Time for Auto

Postby jbrisbin » Mon May 13, 2013 6:18 pm

That is really cool. Thanks for researching this.

Is 'monitor printer' what enables the temperature graph that has always been empty for me?

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Yes. It displays real time monitoring of the heat settings. Probably more than that, but havent looked too far into it really.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks TTG. Good info. Do you know if the M301 alters the max current to the hot end? What I've found on some of my hot ends is that they simply cannot maintain 200C with the fan at 100%. I discovered this when I had the fan on only for loops (not infill). Anyway, I applied a third insulation cover over the normal 2 and this provided enough insulation to maintain temp at full fan speed.

I know there was one person on the forum who had this problem a few months ago, so I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else has this problem.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 am

Do you know if the M301 alters the max current to the hot end?

Im not sure if it alters the max current or not. Im still looking into exactly what it does. I know overall its like the "firmware" for the hot end lol. If I had to guess I would say it alters the voltage and timing aspect of the power resistor, but dont quote me on that.

I applied a third insulation cover over the normal 2 and this provided enough insulation to maintain temp at full fan speed.

Thats interesting, I was just thinking of doing the same. I upgraded to a 20 mm thick fan the other day, and this thing will cool the hot end in a split second. So Im kind of in a situation where I no longer need a fan duct.... but need a fan duct.... lol I will probably go with a third piece of insulation. Do you know where to get these sleeves?

Update:

Im trying to run it again to make sure my guide is accurate with TAMS revb firmware and its been over 5 hours and still hasnt completed.... hmmm

Im gonna say hold off on trying this for those using stock firmware.

Im actually working on the firmware now, and getting the newest version of Marlin copied over to my pc that doesnt have the code all bunched up. I will make sure I make a copy that is word for word the same as tams for anyone that wants it. Will finish it up tomorrow hopefully.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

Yeah, you can get a 4" section of it at Makergear:

http://www.makergear.com/products/plast ... ment-parts

Also handy if you need to replace a sleeve as they seem to lose elasticity after a few months.

TheTechGuru wrote:Do you know where to get these sleeves?

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 am

TAM has been double wrapping for some time actually.
R2 was lacking even a single wrap at first.... ahhh progress!

Thanks for this write up.. we'll be employing it shortly with the ductfan mod.

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue May 14, 2013 9:31 am

I was talking about triple-wrapping. When the usual double is not enough :)

LaserGnomes wrote:TAM has been double wrapping for some time actually.
R2 was lacking even a single wrap at first.... ahhh progress!

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 14, 2013 2:20 pm

LG if you are running stock firmware, it might just sit there and spit out multiple PID numbers endlessly without shutting down.

Since this does no good, this mod should wait.

Im waiting on tams to provide their latest firmware files which are obviously different than whats on the server for download.

Id also like a list of modified files just to confirm what I have already been doing. I had custom firmware, but it was just quickly made. A confirmation from them of the files they change will confirm for me if I should create firmware from scratch using the latest Marlin and make it available.

But the best case scenario... is that THEY will provide firmware for the latest Marlin.

If they dont have it yet, the actual firmware they are using will help at the very least. Im almost positive whats available for download isnt what they are using, esp not haveing the needed pde file... The languages and words used are completely different.

It would be nice to go straight back to stock if something happens. As of now the firmware files offered are not what is being used at the shop, and not usable.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 pm

So I just got done creating a custom firmware. It kinda cool seeing my username as the adapted by author in print run. It was painstaking to go through all the files to see what has been changed by TAMS, but it was well worth it.

So far I only have a custom single head, and still have to go through the code for dual extruders if anyone wants a copy and happens to have the dual head machine.

Running some tests now. Will update posts when I finish.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”