[GUIDE] - Bed Leveling / Setting up Print Resolutions

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

[GUIDE] - Bed Leveling / Setting up Print Resolutions

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Here is what I consider a simple yet productive way of leveling your bed and setting your machine up for various print resolutions.

Nothing is definitive, everything is approx. The beginning of the procedure will be the same for almost everyone. The last portion of the guide, "the different positions of the z axis adjustment screw" might be different for others per resolution, but it will be a close and a good way to get used to your machine.

0. Hello.. I'm a Series 1.

1. Adjust the z axis limit switch as far down as it will go. This is for multiple reasons, all beneficial.

2. Set the spacing between the bottom side of the bolt head and top side of the lock nut to approx 10mm on all 4 leveling bolts.

3. Set the spacing from the top of the z axis adjustment screw to the top of the wood to about 9mm or so.

4. Power up your machine and connect the USB, Start Pronterface and connect to the machine.

5. With the leveling screws and bed STILL OFF of the machine, hit the button to home the z axis. You don't want your bed on just yet, in case your adjustment settings bring it too close to the nozzle causing them to potentially crash into each other.

Once the z axis is homed, install the leveling screws (bottom them out to ensure the bed is at its lowest point) and check for clearance between the bed and nozzle. If everything is a-ok (bed lower than nozzle) Proceed.

If everything is not a-ok (enough clearance between bed and nozzle) Simply lower your bed in pronterface and turn your z axis adjustment screw counter clockwise 1 revolution and re-home the z axis. Repeat as needed.

6. Make sure the bottom nut on all 4 leveling screws are as loose as they can be.

7. Adjust the leveling screws upwards,

8. Until the nozzle makes contact with the bed. No more no less.

9. Tighten leveling screws to lock in place.

10. Ok, Next Corner.

11. Aaand, Next Corner.

12. Whew, Last Corner. Lets do all 4 corners one more time for good measure.

14. Your bed is now zeroed out. Use pronterface to lower the z axis until you can easily access the z axis adjustment screw.

15. Without moving the adjustment screw, take a paint marker, white out, or anything that will leave a mark, and paint a line as shown below. Congrats, If you use the slic3r or kisslicer code supplied from Type A Machines Downloads Section, this is now your approx 50 micron resolution mark. (TAMS slicer settings start the first layer 300 microns from home position making this adjustment screw position almost ideal for the 50 micron prints first layer)

16. Turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise to the position shown below and this will be your approx 100 micron position.

17. Turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise to the position shown below and this will be your approx 200 micron position.

18. Turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise to the position shown below and this will be your approx 300 micron position. (360 degrees counter clockwise from 50 micron position)

The above procedure has given me trouble free prints. I recommend you give it a try. If you use glass the procedure is the same with the glass installed.

All other resolutions are in between. Hope someone finds it useful.
Last edited by Liquid on Thu May 02, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Rodwagner

Re: Guide - Setting Up Bed / Layer Heights

Postby Rodwagner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Really nice demo... Thanks

Liquid

Re: Guide - Setting Up Bed / Layer Heights

Postby Liquid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Rodwagner wrote:Really nice demo... Thanks

No problem. All pics taken on a pink ipod in case anyone cares. Oh the suffering...

crisbtreets

Re: [GUIDE] - Bed Leveling / Setting up Print Resolutions

Postby crisbtreets » Thu May 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I didn't think you needed to adjust the Z-height manually like this for different first layer heights. I figured you just zeroed it out and then the slicer did the rest. Looking at the G-code that Slic3r produces, one of the first lines is:

G1 Z0.250

This is when I use the TAM defaults which set the first layer height to 0.25. If I change the first layer height to 0.30 the G-code is

G1 Z0.300

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Here is something similar to the code used in TAMS KISSlicer Settings.

M301 P24.72 I0.88 D231.1 //Set PID
    G28 //Home all Axis
    G0 X120 Y115 Z15 F10000 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    G92 E0 //
    G1 Y5 Z15 F10000 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    M109 S185 //Wait for extruder to reach temp
    G1 F100 E35 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    G92 E0 //
    G1 X50 Z0.3 F10000 //Coordinated Movement xyze

G1 Y230 F10000 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    G92 E0 //
    G1 E-10 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    M107 //Fan Off
    M104 S0 //Set extuder target temp
    G1 Z225 F10000 //Coordinated Movement xyze
    M84 E X Y //Disable Steppers

When I zero out, this position is perfect for 50 micron prints, even though the bed is 300 microns from zero.

It would be great if it automatically updated kisslicer gcode prefixes but I havent noticed that behavior. Im going to reinstall TAMS recommended settings and see if it does.

You bring up an interesting point though, Manual positioning of the adjustment screw can be skipped if you change the gcode prefix or if it changes itself. If 300 microns from zero works best for 50 microns prints (From my experience), the number need for 300 micron prints would probably be bigger than Z0.3.
Last edited by Liquid on Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Hmmm, this brings up very interesting points. TAMS' newest release for kisslicer has M109 S<TEMP> where M109 S185 (or similar) used to be. I wonder if this is an attempt at automating the temp according to material settings.

Im going to look into kisslicer and its abilities, maybe I can come up with gcode prefixes and post that would be good all around.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 7:30 pm

Looking inside the actual gcode kisslicer produced, I found this. Not sure if it has any action behind it. Im going to check it out more.

On my end I havent seen any automation take place besides the start .3 lower than zero, if it is taking place then something is off, because I cant print a different layer without adjusting the adjustment screw to the positions shown in the guide above.

Im going to look into it more and see what is happening in reality.
Attachments
Layer_Height.jpg
Layer_Height.jpg (521.12 KiB) Viewed 6862 times

NickelSlick

Postby NickelSlick » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

So where can I get those bad-ass thumb screws?

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 pm

NickelSlick wrote:So where can I get those bad-ass thumb screws?

Mine actually came with the machine. But they prob have something similar at any hardware store. I dont know if these are m4's or m6's, but I know the ones holding the machine together are M3 screws/bolts.

Liquid

Postby Liquid » Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Just to clarify, the above guide absolutely works for me.

If Kisslicer is supposed to be adjusting the first layer according to my layer height set in resolution settings, either something isnt working, commented out or numbers are off, so Im going to look into the actual kisslicer forums and learn the software as best as I can.

So following the above guide should work across the board. I will update this post when I have something related to automation and kisslicer.

Here is what I know so far...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (970.31 KiB) Viewed 6858 times

Return to “Tips and Tricks”