[GUIDE] - Bed Leveling / Setting up Print Resolutions

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

Re: [GUIDE] - Bed Leveling / Setting up Print Resolutions

Postby Liquid » Fri May 03, 2013 3:43 am

After a little research and another look at the gcode that is output by kisslicer, it is in fact true that the bed automates itself to the resolution chosen.

Im working on a way to not have to adjust the z screw once it has been zeroed out. So far I only get a dimensionally correct first layer by following what the above guide says and adjusting the screw to the positions shown.

So the good news is, the above works just fine. Im just looking for a better way. It might include setting the extrusion width wider than what is actually output by the nozzle.

For now, Im using the guide above, as the amount the bed levels itself at, just isnt enough without adjusting the screw.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 am

Nice write up!

NickelSlick wrote:So where can I get those bad-ass thumb screws?

Contact TAM they have kits available for upgrades if you don't have them.
Maybe small $$? If you're in San Mateo,CA... just roll up here and shake them down for a set. ; )

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri May 03, 2013 5:23 pm

This thread is awesome. Great Work! I'll see if I can make it sticky...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

mmfox

Postby mmfox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

Guys, when you level the bed and do the four corner thing, how close the nozzle should be to the bed? I mean, should a paper sheet be able to move freely between both of them?

Thx!
mmfox

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am

Mileage varies man. Just see what works for you.

Mainly the difference is the tape you use, how thick that is, and how it may deform (become compacted) increasing that gap.

We typically seat our nozzle directly on the bed. So that it doesn't drag or score the tape while moving around but you cannot fit anything under it.
This assures that the first layer smooshes a bit and creates a nice solid surface on the back side of the model. Sometimes if it's too far away we don't get the smooshing and then we get very small gaps between the walls which could result in part failure depending on design.

-2 cents

mmfox

Postby mmfox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:Mileage varies man. Just see what works for you.

Mainly the difference is the tape you use, how thick that is, and how it may deform (become compacted) increasing that gap.

We typically seat our nozzle directly on the bed. So that it doesn't drag or score the tape while moving around but you cannot fit anything under it.
This assures that the first layer smooshes a bit and creates a nice solid surface on the back side of the model. Sometimes if it's too far away we don't get the smooshing and then we get very small gaps between the walls which could result in part failure depending on design.

-2 cents

Thanks LaserGnomes! I've just posted a picture of my first print on the "Projects" part of the forum. Will work on my bed leveling once my printer is fixed!!

mmfox

RobMackenzie

Postby RobMackenzie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:41 am

A complete newbie here... (so new I won't have my printer until Christmas or so) but I am starting to worry my way through the manual and wonder about bed leveling.

I see that many users of other systems use a tool called a "dial test indicator", either analog or digital, to measure extremely fine variations in the bed level. Other users just use the "stick a piece of paper in 'til it just slides" method.

So my questions are:
(1) Is the "sliding paper" plenty accurate enough? If just "maybe",
(2) Can you use a "dial test indicator" on the newest upcoming TypeA system, and if so how much accuracy is too much?
(3) How would one attach such a gauge?

Thanks

Rob Mackenzie

turnrock

Postby turnrock » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:39 pm

A dial indicator is overkill,really all you need is a piece of paper and then run something big and watch how the first layer goes down.
You can dl and open this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34558 in SCAD and adjust it to fit perfectly in the bed .

RobMackenzie

Postby RobMackenzie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks Turnrock... that makes a ton of good sense.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Honestly, I too use the paper method...I use a thin business card and my desired resistance is enough so that it's pretty much free but I can just barely feel the nozzle as I slide it.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “Tips and Tricks”