[THEORY] PLA Temperature / Melting Point Tempering

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Liquid

Re: PLA Temperature / Melting Point Tempering Theory

Postby Liquid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Just a quick update that may have affected my temps previously.

I noticed a fluctuation in my hot end while printing, not a normal fluctuation but a pretty serious one. I pulled the fiberbands from the hotend and my power resistor was bascially loose. I think the spooge that was originally on it flaked off somehow.

Anywho, I jb welded it in place and it barely fluctuates even a degree. Stays a consistent temp. Im now printing everything at 185-195 no problem. I run 195 if I want the part to be extra strong for the bonding.

Hanaleiguy

Re: [THEORY] PLA Temperature / Melting Point Tempering

Postby Hanaleiguy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:56 pm

2015 now and running a new Series One. First time printer but am aware that the new machines are running at higher speed now. Temp for PLA is set at 220 C which was high for older machines, but works great with Natural PLA. I tried White and Grey and noticed big difference with stringiness and gaps. (I'm sticking to Natural for now. Color is not that important for what I am doing, but it's hard to 'see' translucent surface.)
What would be a good temp. to try these pigmented filaments at?

Elijah
Site Admin

Re: [THEORY] PLA Temperature / Melting Point Tempering

Postby Elijah » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Hanaleiguy wrote:2015 now and running a new Series One. First time printer but am aware that the new machines are running at higher speed now. Temp for PLA is set at 220 C which was high for older machines, but works great with Natural PLA. I tried White and Grey and noticed big difference with stringiness and gaps. (I'm sticking to Natural for now. Color is not that important for what I am doing, but it's hard to 'see' translucent surface.)
What would be a good temp. to try these pigmented filaments at?

As our filament supplier was different at the time the original post was made,I would start with the profiles that come with the latest version of Cura. 220 degrees C is the best temperature to print PLA in from my experience with the 2015 machines (and really any G2 equipped machine).
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “Tips and Tricks”