Poor Man's Heated Bed

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Sean

Poor Man's Heated Bed

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 am

After many prints, I have found that there is just no way to prevent warping. Even using PLA on BuildTak + glue sticks I experience problems with large footprint builds curling and lifting around the edges. It bothers me to no end. I am in the process of designing a heated bed, but in the meantime I have found a simple and very unsafe solution. I have decided to share this so you can risk burning down your home and/or office as well ;) .

Find a heat gun with a base on the back that allows it to stand up safely. Or design and print one. If you are buying new, find a heat gun that has an adjustment for the heat. The one shown in the attached picture is a Porter Cable with adjustable heat that I found in my local Lowes store. Get an inexpensive IR thermometer. Place the heat gun under the platform, pointing at the underside of the bed, around where you are going to be printing and bring it up to temperature (~55-60°C seems to work good with PLA). Adjust the heat setting so it holds steady there and move the gun around some if you need to cover a bigger area. Once the temperature of the bed where you are printing is set then print and your job will lay nice and flat. Keep checking the bed surface temperature and adjust the heat setting as needed. Obviously, don't leave this unattended and you can't keep it there if you are going to make a tall build. But it would be very helpful to establish the initial layers of any build.

Hope this helps,

Sean
Attachments
Poor_Mans_Heated_Bed.jpg
Example setup
Poor_Mans_Heated_Bed.jpg (652.18 KiB) Viewed 2901 times

jarhead

Re: Poor Man's Heated Bed

Postby jarhead » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Done that too. As you said, make sure you keep an eye on the temp. Did one print, came out great, went to pull it off the bed and it was still soft. :D
Think I had it a little too hot.

Sean

Re: Poor Man's Heated Bed

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:36 pm

jarhead wrote:...went to pull it off the bed and it was still soft. :D
Think I had it a little too hot.

I did that too ;)

Return to “Tips and Tricks”