Printing with Taulman Alloy 910 nylon

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

BillDempsey

Printing with Taulman Alloy 910 nylon

Postby BillDempsey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I bought my TAM S1 Pro so that I could print Alloy 910 nylon. I tried extra sticky hairspray and the glue stick included with the printer, but a print of an 85mm diameter gear always curled up at the edges after about 20 layers. I was searching for tips on getting nylon to stick to the print bed and ran across a mention of 3D EeZ. It's a formula that some guy created and it's sold on Amazon. You paint several thin layers onto the print bed, letting each layer dry thoroughly. After the surface is completely dry, you are ready to print. I've now printed a number of those gears with zero warping/curling. It sticks like crazy. Plus, one tub looks like it will last for about 1,000 prints. I've only tried Alloy 910, but I suspect it would work well for printing any nylon. The original source where I saw this product mentioned that he had used it with a number of different materials and it worked for all of them. If you're having troubles with prints sticking, I recommend trying this stuff. I don't work for 3D EeZ. I'm not affiliated in any way. But when I find a product that works really well for a task, I like spreading the word.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

abray

Re: Printing with Taulman Alloy 910 nylon

Postby abray » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tip Bill. I just did my first prints with Alloy 910 yesterday and noticed the same curling/warping issue. To be honest I didn't use a raft or wide brim which possibly could have helped with better adhesion.

The Taulman website mentioned using diluted PVA glue which I was going to give a try. I know glue stick is a form of PVA but there is a difference ...consistency wise... between PVA like white Elmers glue diluted vs Glue Stick. The 3DEez kind of looks like PVA with food coloring ;-) but am sure there is a lot more going on in it than that.

Also I found it interesting that the Taulman site specifically mentions that one should not use any print cooling at all (unless it's a very small part of less than 10mm sq) when printing their nylon products....including Alloy 910.

http://taulman3d.com/best-print-settings.html

Interesting in that the TAM Cura profile for Alloy 910 does kick a minimum fan speed of 10% configured and build to 100% by a 25mm layer height.

On my Series 1 Pro, I have found the speed control of the print cooling fan hit or miss. 99% of the time it appears to either be on 100 % or off so I just set the fan to 0% in the Cura Expert settings when printing Alloy 910.

The layer bonding was much improved with the fan totally off and surprisingly still ooze/string free on layer change/bridges.

Again, thanks for the tip about 3DEez. Never heard of it till your post and good to read of someone using it and having good results.

- Al

BillDempsey

Re: Printing with Taulman Alloy 910 nylon

Postby BillDempsey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:22 am

You're right about the fan. I saw that on the Taulman site, too. I probably should have mentioned that I turn it off in Cura when slicing. I hadn't tried diluted PVA because I've tried it before on other plastics and never had much success with it. The extra sticky hairspray was my go to coating before I started printing in nylon. As an update, I've now printed over a dozen gears in Alloy 910 with zero problems. That original application of the 3DEeZ is still working perfectly with no touch ups. I'm digging the "apply once and print numerous" ease of this coating. At this rate, the first coat may last me over a month of printing. The tub barely looks like I used any. If it doesn't dry out, I bet I'll get 2 years of use from one tub.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”